with leftover sweet potatoes / pinto beans / avocados / eggs
Potato hash topped with fried eggs is a classic diner dish. This one made with sweet potatoes is hearty enough for dinner with the addition of Mexican-inspired spices, beans and extra vegetables. This version is even faster to prepare than when it was first introduced to our meal plan service in June 2016, thanks to the use of leftover roasted sweet potatoes from Monday.
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2, diced
- Onions, medium - 1/2, chopped
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separate
- Beans, pinto (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Avocado - 1, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Coriander, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Leftover roasted sweet potatoes (from Monday) - 1 1/2 lbs
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Eggs - 4
- Hot sauce, for serving (opt) - 2 tsp
- Heat a large skillet with the first part of oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, onions, white parts of green onions, paprika and coriander to heated oil. Saute until vegetables are soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add beans and leftover roasted sweet potatoes to the pan and saute until heated through. Squeeze lime juice over the top and season with some salt and pepper. Transfer hash to a serving plate and wipe out skillet.
- Return skillet to heat and add second part of oil. Crack eggs into oil and fry to desired done-ness (cook on one side for sunny-side up or flip and cook on both sides).
- Top hash with avocado slices, fried eggs and green parts of green onions. Add hot sauce if you’d like and enjoy!
This meal is a staple in my house! Yum! We use white sweet potatoes.0 Helpful
Probably won't make this one without seriously tweaking it first again. It is too sweet and desperately needs some texture.0 Helpful
Added serrano peppers to liven things up. Great, simple, delicious meal.0 Helpful
Getting the bacon to cook through took longer than 5 min (maybe more like 11?) but it was SO good.0 Helpful
Delicious and oh so easy. My first "breakfast for dinner" Cooksmarts meal, loved the leftovers for brunch. The pre-cut sweet potatoes made this so easy, love the combo with the Kale Salad which made for an easy week.0 Helpful
Two of the kids were not at all interested in evening trying this meal. One slowly picked through and ate. One ate heartily. One wasn't home so who knows. :)0 Helpful