Leftover Mojo Pork Cubanos
with citrus and avocado salad
Smarts: To flatten these sandwiches like panini, we like to place a heavy skillet over the top while they're cooking. You can also use a panini press if you have one!
- Pickles, dill (opt) - 1/2 cup, sliced
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Baguette, soft - 10 oz (look for a soft, not crusty variety; sub sandwich bread)
- Leftover Mojo pork (from Monday) - ~3 cups (sub sliced ham 2 slices / serving)
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 slices (sub provolone)
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Shallots - 1/2 clove, diced
- Oranges - 1, segments
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Lettuce, butterhead or Boston leaf (sub any mixed greens) - 1 head, leaves torn
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 3 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard. Slice bread in half and spread mayonnaise / mustard on the inside. Top the bottom half with leftover pork, pickles and cheese. Add the top half of the bread. Slice assembled Cubano into smaller portions so that they will fit inside your largest nonstick pan.
- Heat a nonstick pan (or use a panini press if you have one) over medium heat. Add butter and swirl it around in the pan until it melts. Add the Cubanos to the hot pan and place a heavy skillet on top. (Adding this weight on top is optional but will help to compress the sandwiches as they cook, like using a panini press.) When the sandwiches are golden brown on the bottom, flip them over and place the second skillet back on top. Continue cooking until the cheese is melted and the sandwiches are golden brown on both sides.
- Just before serving, combine shallots with vinegar, mustard and honey. Add oil while whisking. Toss oranges, avocados and lettuce in dressing.
- Serve sandwiches with salad on the side. Enjoy!
The sandwiches are good with avocado also!0 Helpful
LOVED these sandwiches!0 Helpful
Who doesn't love a good cubano?0 Helpful
Used provolone but still very tasty. Yes, heat meat up before hand.0 Helpful
I did these as open faced melts. Very yummy!0 Helpful
So good! Not the healthiest but will do again for a splurgey Friday night.0 Helpful