Tofu and Udon Noodles in Green Curry Soup
baby spinach and straw mushrooms
- Udon noodles, dried - 6 oz
- Tofu, medium-firm - 16 oz, 1" / 2.5cm cubes
- Lemongrass (opt) - 2 stalks, chopped into 2" / 5cm pieces (sub lemongrass paste; 1/2 tsp = 1 stalk)
- Cilantro - 4 sprigs, chopped
- Straw mushrooms, canned (14oz / 397g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Green curry paste - 2 Tbsp (sub red or yellow)
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any variety - 4 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add curry paste, coconut milk, stock, lemongrass, soy sauce and brown sugar. Cover, and bring to a boil.
- Add in mushrooms and tofu. Cook until both are warmed up, ~5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fold in spinach leaves. Finish with lime juice. Season soup to taste with more soy sauce, sweetener or lime juice.
- Divide noodles and soup into bowls (discard lemongrass stalks). Top with cilantro. Enjoy piping hot!
Used bella mushrooms instead of canned straw mushrooms. Used the whole can of coconut milk and reduced the amount of stock to keep the total liquid the same. This is fast and a fav at our house. Also qualifies as vegan.0 Helpful
Perfect on a cold, rainy day. I doubled the green curry paste because mine wasn't terribly potent.0 Helpful
I used buckwheat soba noodles and cooked them in the broth. This made the broth thicker and less like soup, but really gave the noodles flavor! I also couldn't find the button mushrooms so I bought shitake and oyster and sauteed those instead and put those in the soup- much better flavor!0 Helpful
Used Spaetzle and Mu-err mushrooms because...well, that's what the german grocery store had. This was AWESOME. Loved the flavor of the broth.0 Helpful
Not terrible, not great. added half pound mini portobellas, still lacking. needs more veggie, maybe more meat, maybe more coconut milk0 Helpful
Amazing! Used Baby bella mushrooms instead and it turned out great.0 Helpful