Tofu and Udon Noodles in Green Curry Soup
baby spinach and straw mushrooms
The use of aromatic green curry paste and springy udon noodles make this a popular soup that we have featured in several variations since December 2014.
Smarts: Using canned mushrooms and pre-washed baby spinach means no-prep veggies.
- Udon noodles, dried - 6 oz
- Tofu, medium-firm - 16 oz , 1" / 2.5cm cubes
- Lemongrass (opt) - 2 stalks , chopped into 2" / 5cm pieces (sub lemongrass paste; 1/2 tsp = 1 stalk)
- Cilantro - 4 sprigs , chopped
- Straw mushrooms, canned (14oz / 397g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Green curry paste - 2 Tbsp (sub red or yellow)
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any variety - 4 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
Noodles - Cook according to package instructions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Tofu / Lemongrass / Cilantro - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Mushrooms - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add curry paste, coconut milk, stock, lemongrass, soy sauce and brown sugar. Cover, and bring to a boil.
Add in mushrooms and tofu. Cook until both are warmed up, ~5 minutes.
Remove from heat and fold in spinach leaves. Finish with lime juice. Season soup to taste with more soy sauce, sweetener or lime juice.
Divide noodles and soup into bowls (discard lemongrass stalks). Top with cilantro. Enjoy piping hot!