Tofu and Udon Noodles in Green Curry Soup
baby spinach and straw mushrooms
The use of aromatic green curry paste and springy udon noodles make this a popular soup that we have featured in several variations since December 2014.
Smarts: Using canned mushrooms and pre-washed baby spinach means no-prep veggies.
- Udon noodles, dried - 6 oz
- Tofu, medium-firm - 16 oz , 1" / 2.5cm cubes
- Lemongrass (opt) - 2 stalks , chopped into 2" / 5cm pieces (sub lemongrass paste; 1/2 tsp = 1 stalk)
- Cilantro - 4 sprigs , chopped
- Straw mushrooms, canned (14oz / 397g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Green curry paste - 2 Tbsp (sub red or yellow)
- Coconut milk, light - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any variety - 4 cups
- Fish sauce - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add curry paste, coconut milk, stock, lemongrass, fish sauce and brown sugar. Cover, and bring to a boil.
Add in mushrooms and tofu. Cook until both are warmed up, ~5 minutes.
Remove soup from heat and fold in spinach leaves. Finish with lime juice. Season soup to taste with more fish sauce, sweetener or lime juice.
Divide noodles and soup into bowls (discard lemongrass stalks). Top with cilantro. Enjoy piping hot!