Tofu and Mushrooms with Pan Sauce
and mashed sweet potatoes
The marinade and pan sauce for this dinner are packed with umami flavors. They work together to elevate seared tofu, mushrooms and mashed sweet potatoes into a meal that is restaurant-worthy.
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, peeled & chopped into 1" cubes
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Tofu, extra-firm (vacuum-packed preferable) - 1 lb
- Garlic soy marinade - 1/3 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Parsley (opt) - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Stock, any variety - 1 1/4 cup
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Make garlic-soy marinade - Chop garlic. Combine with remaining ingredients for the marinade. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tofu - Slice into 4 "steaks" and combine with marinade. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Parsley - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes - Peel and chop into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cornstarch mixture - Mix cornstarch with water.
- Place chopped sweet potatoes into a stock pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until you can easily insert a knife through the potatoes, ~6 to 10 minutes. When sweet potatoes are done, drain and let steam for ~5 minutes so some of the moisture evaporates.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then tofu to heated oil. Sear on both sides for 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium and add mushrooms, thyme sprigs (the portion for the tofu), white wine and stock, scraping up any brown bits that may have formed on the pan. (There will be some steaming action, so be careful!) Cover and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add cornstarch mixture to the pan. Bring to a simmer and let sauce cook until it's thickened. Turn off heat, and add lemon juice, parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add tofu back to the pan and spoon mushroom sauce over top.
- Mash sweet potatoes with yogurt, starting with less and adding more as needed. Season to taste with salt.
- Serve tofu over mashed sweet potatoes with mushroom sauce over top. Enjoy!
It never said to salt the chicken so it was just bland and wet. This was terrible.0 Helpful
We really liked this - added broccoli on the side. Next time I would use bone-in chicken quarters because the chicken did end up slightly dry.0 Helpful
Sauce did not come out like this at all. Probably user error, but still...0 Helpful
SO tasty! Thought the tofu would be bland, but this dish is full of flavor!0 Helpful
First recipe my husband said he didn't like...maybe I cooked the chicken too long and it lost texture?0 Helpful
Took more than twice as long to cook the chicken, but we had some pretty thick chicken breasts. Overall good meal.0 Helpful