Chicken Breasts with Pan Sauce
and mashed sweet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, peeled & chopped into 1" cubes
- Coconut milk, light - 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lb
- Garlic aminos marinade - 1/3 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Parsley (opt) - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Arrowroot powder - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Stock, any variety - 1 1/4 cup
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Make garlic-aminos marinade - Chop garlic. Combine with remaining ingredients for the marinade. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and combine with marinade. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Parsley - Chop parsley (if using). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes - Peel and chop into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Arrowroot powder mixture - Mix arrowroot powder with water.
- Place chopped sweet potatoes into a stock pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until you can easily insert a knife through the potatoes, ~6 to 10 minutes. When sweet potatoes are done, drain and let steam for ~5 minutes so some of the moisture evaporates.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil (discarding marinade). Sear on both sides for 3 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, and add thyme sprigs (the portion for the chicken), white wine and stock, scraping up any brown bits that may have formed on the pan. (There will be some steaming action, so be careful!) Cover and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes, until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F / 74C degrees.
- Mash sweet potatoes with coconut milk, starting with less and adding more as needed. Season to taste with salt.
- Remove cooked chicken from pan and add mustard and arrowroot powder mixture to the pan. Bring to a simmer and let sauce cook until thick. Turn off heat and add lemon juice and parsley (if using). Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken over mashed sweet potatoes with pan sauce over top. Enjoy!
It never said to salt the chicken so it was just bland and wet. This was terrible.0 Helpful
We really liked this - added broccoli on the side. Next time I would use bone-in chicken quarters because the chicken did end up slightly dry.0 Helpful
Sauce did not come out like this at all. Probably user error, but still...0 Helpful
SO tasty! Thought the tofu would be bland, but this dish is full of flavor!0 Helpful
First recipe my husband said he didn't like...maybe I cooked the chicken too long and it lost texture?0 Helpful
Took more than twice as long to cook the chicken, but we had some pretty thick chicken breasts. Overall good meal.0 Helpful