Chicken Breasts with Pan Sauce
and mashed sweet potatoes
The marinade and pan sauce for this dinner are packed with umami flavors. They work together to elevate seared chicken breast and mashed sweet potatoes into a meal that is restaurant-worthy.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs , peeled & chopped into 1" cubes
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup
Garlic Soy Marinade:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
Chicken Breasts with Pan Sauce:
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lb
- Garlic soy marinade - 1/3 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Parsley (opt) - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Stock, any variety - 1 1/4 cup
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Make garlic-soy marinade - Chop garlic. Combine with remaining ingredients for the marinade. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and combine with marinade. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Parsley - Chop parsley (if using). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes - Peel and chop into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cornstarch mixture - Mix cornstarch with water.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Place chopped sweet potatoes into a stock pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until you can easily insert a knife through the potatoes, ~6 to 10 minutes. When sweet potatoes are done, drain and let steam for ~5 minutes so some of the moisture evaporates.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil (discarding marinade). Sear on both sides for 3 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, and add thyme sprigs (the portion for the chicken), white wine and stock, scraping up any brown bits that may have formed on the pan. (There will be some steaming action, so be careful!) Cover and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes, until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F / 74C degrees.
- Mash sweet potatoes with yogurt, starting with less and adding more as needed. Season to taste with salt.
- Remove cooked chicken from pan and add mustard and cornstarch mixture to the pan. Bring to a simmer and let sauce cook until thick. Turn off heat and add lemon juice and parsley (if using). Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken over mashed sweet potatoes with pan sauce over top. Enjoy!