Chicken Pot Pie Soup
with thyme pie crust crisps
We love everything about a rich, classic chicken pot pie, so we couldn't resist creating a lighter weeknight-friendly version in soup form. We even made sure to top each bowl with thyme-infused pie crusts "crisps" for that irresistible buttery crunch!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup:
- Pie crusts, frozen or refrigerated (9" / 23cm) - 1
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Potatoes, russet - 1/2 lb , peeled and cubed
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , cubed (sub thighs)
- Mixed frozen vegetables - 2 cups (any mix including peas and carrots)
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs + 2 sprigs
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Stock, any variety - 3 cups
- Milk - 1 cup
- Pie crusts - Defrost pie crusts according to package directions.
- Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube. Soak in water if not using right away to prevent them from turning brown. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Frozen vegetables - Defrost in the microwave or by placing in a colander and running under warm water. Drain off any excess water.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 350F / 177C degrees.
- Place pie crusts out on a sheet pan and slice into wedges (no need to be precise, but aim for about 2 wedges per person). Brush the top with some oil or melted butter. Sprinkle with some salt. Using the first portion of thyme, scatter thyme leaves over the pie crusts. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside until ready to serve.
- While pie crusts bake, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute chicken until starting to brown on the outside but not cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Add butter and then onions with some salt to melted butter. Saute until onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and flour and stir until garlic is fragrant and no dry spots of flour remain. Pour stock over top and bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring, until stock thickens. Add potatoes and second portion of thyme sprigs. Reduce heat to low-medium. Simmer until potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- When potatoes are tender, stir in mixed vegetables, chicken and milk. Continue to simmer soup until chicken is cooked through.
- When soup is finished, discard thyme sprigs. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve soup with pie crust crisps. (Crumble pie crust crisps on top of the soup to get the same combination of a creamy base and flaky topping of classic pot pie.) Enjoy!