Deconstructed Eggplant Parmesan
with sauteed broccolini
This twist on cheesy, warm eggplant parmesan skips the time-consuming breading steps of the classic and simply combines all of the ingredients in a single skillet. This vegetarian dish is a version of the one that was first featured in September 2013.
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Broccolini - 1 to 2 bunches (sub 2 broccoli crowns)
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
Deconstructed Eggplant Parmesan:
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Eggplants, Chinese or Japanese - 1 lb , chopped (these varieties have less seeds; if you can't find it, Italian is fine)
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , chopped
- Cheese, fresh mozzarella - 6 oz , sliced
- Cheese, parmesan - 3 oz , grated
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Simple marinara sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~3 cups
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
Simple Marinara Sauce:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Shallots - 1 clove , diced
- Crushed tomatoes (28oz / 794g) - 1 can
- Garlic (for marinara and broccolini) / Shallots - Prep as directed. Store garlic and shallots for marinara together. Store garlic for broccolini separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make marinara sauce - Mix garlic (for the marinara) and shallots into crushed tomatoes with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Onions / Eggplant / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cheese (both varieties) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chickpeas - Drain and rinse.
- Preheat oven to 375F / 191C degrees.
- Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil (the portion for the eggplant parmesan), and then onions to heated oil with a dash of salt. Saute for 3 minutes. Add eggplant and marinara and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in bell peppers and chickpeas. Cover with mozzarella and bake for 12 minutes.
- While skillet is cooking, place broccolini in a microwave safe container. Add water and sprinkle with some salt. Cover with a lid or wet paper towel and microwave until tender, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes depending on thickness. (This extra step makes the broccolini saute much faster.)
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (the portion for the broccolini) and then garlic to heated oil. Once you smell the garlic, add broccolini with a dash of salt. Saute for ~1 minute, until tender but still crunchy. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Mix parmesan and panko bread crumbs together. Sprinkle on top of skillet and broil for 2 more minutes. Enjoy with broccolini on the side.