Red Wine Braised Mushrooms
with mashed potatoes / mixed greens salad
Red Wine Braised Mushrooms:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz , grated
- Mushrooms, any button - 16 oz , quartered
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any variety - 1 1/2 cups
- Wine, red - 1/2 cup
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Bay leaves (opt) - 2
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Potatoes, russet - 1 1/2 lbs
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 3 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
Mixed Greens Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- Bell peppers, any color - 1/2 , thinly sliced
- Avocados - 1 , chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Onions / Carrots / Garlic / Cheese - Prep as directed. Store onions and carrots in one container. Store garlic and cheese in their own containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Thinly slice peppers. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Potatoes / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Soak potatoes in water if not using right away to prevent them from turning brown. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced by a knife. Drain and let sit in a colander for ~5 minutes to let the steam escape (this creates creamier potatoes vs. liquidy potatoes).
- While potatoes boil, place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until tender and golden brown, ~5 minutes.
- Add onions and carrots and saute until onions are starting to turn tender, ~3 minutes. Stir in salt, Italian seasoning and garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add stock, wine, tomato paste, thyme sprigs, bay leaves and red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer to let the flavors come together and liquid reduce, 15 to 18 minutes.
- While mushrooms simmer, use a masher to mash steamed potatoes with yogurt and butter. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, chop avocados. Whisk together vinegar, mustard and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Toss bell peppers, avocados and mixed greens in vinaigrette.
- Serve mushrooms over mashed potatoes with parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy with salad on the side.