with tofu and shiitake mushrooms
This noodle-based stir-fry with tofu and vegetables gets bold flavor and its bright color thanks to the addition of mild curry powder.
Singapore Noodles with Tofu:
- Noodles, rice - 6 oz (sub spaghetti or soba)
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz , 1/2" / 1.25cm cubes
- Curry powder, mild - 2 tsp
- Mushrooms, fresh shiitakes - 4 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced; sub any brown variety)
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Mixed frozen vegetables - 2 cups (any mix including peas and carrots)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
Singapore Stir-Fry Sauce:
- Ginger, fresh (opt) - 1/2 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Water - 5 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp
- Cook noodles - Boil noodles according to package directions. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then slice into 1/2" / 1.25cm cubes. Season with curry powder and some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Grate ginger and chop garlic. Combine ginger, garlic, water, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and Sriracha. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Frozen vegetables - Defrost in the microwave or by placing in a colander and running under warm water. Drain off any excess water.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a wok or nonstick pan with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and saute until tofu is golden brown on all sides. Season tofu with some salt and pepper. Set tofu aside and return pan to heat.
- Add sesame oil and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until golden brown and tender, ~2 minutes. Add white parts of green onions and mixed vegetables and saute for another minute.
- Stir tofu into vegetables. Pour stir-fry sauce over top and simmer until sauce reduces slightly, ~1 minute. Remove pan from heat and stir in noodles.
- Top noodles with green parts of green onions and serve with lime wedges. Add some extra Sriracha on top if you'd like. Enjoy!