Thai Chicken Ramen
with zucchini noodles / butternut squash / soft-boiled eggs
- Butternut squash, fresh - 3 lbs, peeled and cubed (enough for 2 nights)
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Mushrooms, fresh shiitakes - 4 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Green onions - 3 stalks, sliced, green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed
- Zucchini - 12 oz, spiralized or sliced into ribbons
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Curry paste, red - 2 tsp (sub green or yellow)
- Stock, chicken - 4 cups
- Eggs (opt) - 4
- Squash - (This makes enough squash for two nights.) Peel and cube squash. If prepping right before cooking, get squash roasting before continuing with prep steps. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini - Turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler.
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C degrees.
- Place butternut squash in a sheet pan and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 10 minutes on top rack. Remove foil and then toss with first part of oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Return to oven and roast for another 10 to 15 minutes uncovered, giving the pan a shake midway through.
- While squash roasts, heat a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add second part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute until chicken is golden brown on the outside and nearly cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Add third part of oil to pan and then garlic, white parts of green onions and curry paste. Saute just until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add mushrooms and stock to pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer on low for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- While stock simmers, bring a small saucepan of water to a low boil. Add eggs to boiling water and boil for exactly 7 minutes (this will yield cooked whites and runny yolks, so boil a minute less or more if you like your eggs cooked differently). Transfer eggs to a colander and run under cool tap water. When cool enough to handle, peel eggs.
- A few minutes before serving, add chicken and zucchini noodles to stock. Continue to simmer until chicken is cooked through and zucchini is tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in half the roasted squash (remember to reserve the remaining half for Thursday). Divide ramen between serving bowls.
- Slice eggs in half. Top ramen bowls with eggs, green parts of green onions and jalapeno slices (if using). Serve with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!
Wasn’t a fan of this one. It wasn’t very flavorful to me or my husband, and it was one of the most time consuming Cook Smarts recipes I’ve made.0 Helpful
Made this with tofu and zucchini in place of butternut squash.0 Helpful
Those eggs were delightful! I never thought I could make perfect soft boiled eggs and now I can! Dreams do come true.0 Helpful
didn't have enough broth at all, so I added like 2-3 extra cups worth. used partial chicken, partial dashi, and it was very tasty! Also, like everyone else said, the egg timing is perfect!0 Helpful
Despite a few cooking mishaps, this dish turned out awesome! This is definitely going into our favorites.0 Helpful
Very tasty! Didn't have broth, so added extra miso. Very filling. Will make again!0 Helpful