Feta and Roasted Red Pepper Stuffed Portobellos
with kale chips
- Kale, curly leaf - 1 bunch, leaves torn off of stems
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mayonnaise - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Capers - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Roasted red peppers (16 oz / 454 g) - 1/4 jar, drain, rinse and chop
- Cheese, feta - 1/2 cup, crumbled
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Italian seasonings - 1/2 tsp
- Tomatoes - 1, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4
- Foil - for cooking
- Burger buns - 4
- Homemade tartar sauce - 1/2 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Roasted red peppers - Drain, rinse and chop. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make mushroom filling - Mix together feta, red peppers, panko, and Italian seasonings.
- Kale - Peel off leaves and discard stems. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice.
- Make tartar sauce - Mix together mayo, chopped capers, and lemon juice. Salt to taste.
- Preheat oven to 300F / 149C degrees.
- Spread kale leaves onto a sheet pan. Use two pans if they’re too packed on one. Toss with olive oil and then bake for 8 to 12 minutes until leaves are crispy. If they start to brown too much at the edges, they’re definitely done! Sprinkle with some salt right out of the oven.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then place portobellos cap side up. Sear for 2 to 3 minutes and then flip. Lightly salt and pepper and then spoon in pepper and cheese filling into mushrooms. Cover with foil and cook until mushroom is tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Warm up buns in the oven. Assemble sandwiches with stuffed mushrooms, tartar sauce, and sliced tomatoes. Enjoy with kale chips!
Everyone liked this one. Kale chips were a huge favorite and so very easy to make0 Helpful
We swapped the fish for chicken and made smoked paprika mayo. So good.0 Helpful
Not super flavourful. And didn't eat leftover kale chips0 Helpful
The way I made it wasn't actually four starts, but I think next time it will be! I would use thicker fish (or double it up) and a different side veg next time.0 Helpful
Made with chicken thighs. Still so delicious.0 Helpful