Banh Mi Tofu Tacos
with pickled vegetables / pineapple smoothie
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz, cubed
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Ketchup - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Carrots, pre-shredded - 5 oz
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Pineapple, frozen cubes - 12 oz
- Bananas - 2
- Coconut water - 1 cup (sub water or fruit juice)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Slice into 1" / 2.5cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make sauce - Chop garlic. Whisk together garlic, ketchup, soy sauce, honey, vinegar (the portion for the tofu) and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make pickled vegetables - Toss together coleslaw mix, shredded carrots, vinegar (the portion for the vegetables) and sugar. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make smoothies - Blend pineapple, banana and coconut milk in a blender until smooth. Add some additional coconut milk, water or juice a bit at a time if needed to get a smooth consistency.
- Heat a wok or nonstick pan with oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and saute until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Pour sauce over tofu and simmer until sauce thickens and coats tofu, ~2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sesame seeds.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, Sriracha and juice from one lime wedge. Taste and add more Sriracha if you'd like it spicier.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Assemble tacos by filling tortillas with pickled vegetables and tofu. Top with cilantro and Sriracha mayonnaise. Serve with extra lime wedges and smoothies on the side. Enjoy!
Holy cow this was great! I cheated and added a little mayo and siracha to the slaw. Fresh, colorful and easy!0 Helpful
Loved this! My 7 year old loved the Tofu and she wouldn't touch it previously!0 Helpful
A little spicy for me, but very good.0 Helpful
It's a keeper! Family loved it.0 Helpful
Delicious! I love this light Vietnamese meal. I took peoples' recommendations and used PORK instead of tofu. I also avoided the sriacha for the 4 year old. It's true (as someone else said) the cabbage/carrots did not have a strong pickling flavor - wonder what would have given that an added kick? We ended up having the smoothie the next morning for breakfast -- I threw in a handful of chard to make it more healthy and it didn't lose any of its sweet deliciousness.0 Helpful