Banh Mi Tofu Tacos
with pickled vegetables / pineapple smoothie
We love the flavor and crunch of a Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwich so much that we couldn't resist turning it into Asian-inspired tacos. Sweet tofu, tangy pickled vegetables and creamy Sriracha mayo combine to make this an addictively flavorful vegetarian meal.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , cubed (vacuum-packed preferable; sub chicken breast, ground turkey, or pork for a non-veg version)
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Ketchup - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Carrots, pre-shredded - 5 oz
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Pineapple, frozen cubes - 12 oz
- Bananas - 2
- Coconut water - 1 cup (sub water or fruit juice)
Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Slice into 1" / 2.5cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Make sauce - Chop garlic. Whisk together garlic, ketchup, soy sauce, honey, vinegar (the portion for the tofu) and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make pickled vegetables - Toss together coleslaw mix, shredded carrots, vinegar (the portion for the vegetables) and sugar. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Make smoothies - Blend pineapple, banana and coconut milk in a blender until smooth. Add some additional coconut milk, water or juice a bit at a time if needed to get a smooth consistency.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Heat a wok or nonstick pan with oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and saute until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Pour sauce over tofu and simmer until sauce thickens and coats tofu, ~2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sesame seeds.
Whisk together mayonnaise, Sriracha and juice from one lime wedge. Taste and add more Sriracha if you'd like it spicier.
Warm tortillas according to package directions.
Assemble tacos by filling tortillas with pickled vegetables and tofu. Top with cilantro and Sriracha mayonnaise. Serve with extra lime wedges and smoothies on the side. Enjoy!