Southwestern Beans and Rice
with salsa / guacamole / tortillas
For this one-pan meal, seasoned rice and beans cook together on the stovetop which infuses the dish with Southwestern flavor. Serve it as burrito bowls piled with toppings, or roll the filling into tortillas. Either way, it makes a simple, customizable weeknight dinner.
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced or crushed
- Shallots - 1 bulb , diced
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Avocados - 2
- Limes - 1 , juice of
- Hot sauce - to taste
Southwestern Beans and Rice:
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , chopped
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Rice, long-grain white, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Salsa, store-bought, for serving - 1/2 cup
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Make spice mix - Combine coriander, paprika, cumin, salt, chili powder and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Bell Peppers / Coleslaw mix - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Garlic / Shallots / Cilantro - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven or nonstick pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions, bell peppers and coleslaw mix to heated oil. Saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add spice mix and beans to pan and saute until spices are fragrant.
- Heat stock in microwave or saucepan until boiling.
- Pour rice and hot stock over vegetables and give it a stir to combine. Turn heat to medium-low and put the lid on. Cook, covered, until all stock is absorbed and rice is tender, 20 to 22 minutes.
- When rice is finished cooking, move pan away from the heat and let it rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
- While rice and beans rest, mash together garlic, shallots, cilantro, avocado and lime juice. Season to taste with some salt and hot sauce.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Serve rice and beans with lime wedges, tortillas, guacamole, salsa and sour cream on the side. We liked these served like burrito bowls with a tortilla on the side to scoop up toppings (you can also fill the tortillas and roll them up like tacos). Enjoy!