Fajita Chicken with Sauteed Peppers and Onions
with salsa / guacamole
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced or crushed
- Shallots - 1 bulb , diced
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Avocados - 2
- Limes - 1 , juice of
- Hot sauce - to taste
Fajita Chicken with Sauteed Peppers and Onions:
- Coriander, dried - 1 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Onions, medium - 2 , thinly sliced
- Bell peppers, any color - 2 , thinly sliced
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 6
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Salsa, store-bought, for serving - 1/2 cup
- Make spice mix - Combine coriander, paprika, cumin, salt, chili powder and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Bell Peppers / Coleslaw mix - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Garlic / Shallots / Cilantro - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and combine with spice mix. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Mash together garlic, shallots, cilantro, avocado and lime juice. Season to taste with some salt and hot sauce.
- Heat a Dutch oven or nonstick pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then onions, bell peppers and coleslaw mix to heated oil. Saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Cook chicken on both sides until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes total. Move chicken to one side of pan and add onions, peppers and coleslaw mix back to pan. Saute vegetables for a minute to reheat.
- Serve chicken and sauteed vegetables with lime wedges, guacamole and salsa on the side. Enjoy!