Southwestern Chicken and Rice
with salsa / guacamole / tortillas
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced or crushed
- Shallots - 1 bulb, diced
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Avocados - 2
- Limes - 1, juice of
- Hot sauce - to taste
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 4
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Stock, chicken - 1 1/2 cups
- Rice, long-grain white, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Tortillas, taco-sized gluten-free corn - 4
- Salsa, store-bought, for serving - 1/2 cup
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Make spice mix - Combine coriander, paprika, cumin, salt, chili powder and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Bell Peppers / Coleslaw mix - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Garlic / Shallots / Cilantro - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and combine with spice mix. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven or nonstick pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear chicken on both sides until golden brown but not cooked through. Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil and then onions, bell peppers and coleslaw mix to heated oil. Saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. While vegetables cook, heat stock in microwave or saucepan until boiling.
- Pour rice and hot stock over vegetables and give it a stir to combine. Return chicken to pan, placing thighs in a single layer on top of rice. Turn heat to medium- low and put the lid on. Cook, covered, until rice has absorbed all of the stock and chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- When chicken is finished cooking, move pan away from the heat and let it rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
- While chicken and rice rest, mash together garlic, shallots, cilantro, avocado and lime juice. Season to taste with some salt and hot sauce.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Serve chicken and rice with lime wedges, tortillas, guacamole, salsa and sour cream on the side. We liked these served like burrito bowls with a tortilla on the side to scoop up toppings (you can also fill the tortillas and roll them up like tacos). Enjoy!
Easy to make and really tasty. Everyone enjoyed this!0 Helpful
A bit mild for my taste but went over well with the family.0 Helpful
My husband absolutely loved this. It came out very wet for some reason, so added some extra leftover rice to soak up the juices.0 Helpful
I thought the flavor was more of a fresh flavor than a tex-mex flavor. Either way it was still really good and my husband really liked it. To give it more of a tex mex flavor you could add some Rotel like other people suggested.0 Helpful
This was surprisingly pretty good! Definitely add cheese to the vegetarian version.0 Helpful
Chicken came out extra tender, loved it!0 Helpful