Southwestern Chicken and Rice
with salsa / guacamole / tortillas
For this one pan-meal, chicken and rice cook together on the stovetop which infuses the rice with savory flavor. Serve the chicken and rice like burrito bowls piled with toppings, or roll the filling into tortillas. Either way, it makes a simple, customizable weeknight dinner.
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced or crushed
- Shallots - 1 bulb , diced
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Avocados - 2
- Limes - 1 , juice of
- Hot sauce - to taste
Southwestern Chicken and Rice:
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , chopped
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 4
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Stock, chicken - 1 1/2 cups
- Rice, long-grain white, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 4
- Salsa, store-bought, for serving - 1/2 cup
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Make spice mix - Combine coriander, paprika, cumin, salt, chili powder and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Bell Peppers / Coleslaw mix - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Garlic / Shallots / Cilantro - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and combine with spice mix. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Limes - Slice into wedges. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven or nonstick pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear chicken on both sides until golden brown but not cooked through. Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil and then onions, bell peppers and coleslaw mix to heated oil. Saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. While vegetables cook, heat stock in microwave or saucepan until boiling.
- Pour rice and hot stock over vegetables and give it a stir to combine. Return chicken to pan, placing thighs in a single layer on top of rice. Turn heat to medium- low and put the lid on. Cook, covered, until rice has absorbed all of the stock and chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- When chicken is finished cooking, move pan away from the heat and let it rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
- While chicken and rice rest, mash together garlic, shallots, cilantro, avocado and lime juice. Season to taste with some salt and hot sauce.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Serve chicken and rice with lime wedges, tortillas, guacamole, salsa and sour cream on the side. We liked these served like burrito bowls with a tortilla on the side to scoop up toppings (you can also fill the tortillas and roll them up like tacos). Enjoy!