Slow Cooker Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
with avocados, tortilla chips and sour cream
- Ground turkey, lean - 1 lb
- Cornstarch (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, diced
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 1 cup
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Stock, chicken - 1 1/2 cups
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Sour cream - for serving on chili
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving with chili
- If slow cooking, heat up a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat (if not slow cooking, heat up a Dutch oven). Add cooking oil and then garlic and onions with a dash of salt to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Fold in turkey and use a wooden spoon to break up into bits. Cook until brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- If slow cooking, transfer to slow cooker. Add in crushed tomatoes, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt, chicken stock, and sweet potatoes and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. (If not slow cooking, add all the same ingredients into the Dutch oven, cover, and bring to a boil. Then simmer uncovered for ~20 minutes.)
- Cube avocado.
- Once chili is done, season to taste with salt, pepper, any more of the spices, or dig into your condiments. Portion into bowls and let everyone top with cilantro, avocado and sour cream. Scoop with tortilla chips if using.
Needs more cooking time and more spices but good mix of flavors. I also wonder about adding another vegetable,like maybe mushrooms?0 Helpful
So yummy and easier to make than I thought. I cooked everything in my instant pot (sauteed, then slow cooked). I didn't start this until late in the afternoon so I let it slow cook for one hour on high and then did a second saute until the potatoes were cooked through. I highly recommend adding the cilantro and sour cream (non dairy) on top.0 Helpful
It's not necessary to soak the lentils overnight. They have plenty of time to cook in the slow cooker. I made two small crockpots: one vegetarian, one with sausage added for my husband. He loved it.0 Helpful
Very good, but best of all - it's super easy to make. I used about 1.5 cups of crushed tomatoes and 2.5 cups of stock because the fluid cooked down quickly cooking on high for 4 hours. Pay attention to your liquid ratio though as this is better served thicker/heartier than thin.0 Helpful
This was so tasty!! The avocado was the perfect addition. I only wish I had made a bigger pot of this so there would be more leftovers!!!0 Helpful
My favorite so far! I made it on the stove top.0 Helpful