Slow Cooker Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
with avocados, tortilla chips and sour cream
This easy slow-cooker meal can be customized by adding more spice for the kick you want. As one of our favorite healthy and hearty chili recipes, this has made several past appearances in our meal plan, including most recently in January 2016.
- Ground turkey, lean - 1 lb
- Cornstarch (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, diced
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 1 cup
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Stock, chicken - 1 1/2 cups
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Sour cream - for serving on chili
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving with chili
- If slow cooking, heat up a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat (if not slow cooking, heat up a Dutch oven). Add cooking oil and then garlic and onions with a dash of salt to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Fold in turkey and use a wooden spoon to break up into bits. Cook until brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- If slow cooking, transfer to slow cooker. Add in crushed tomatoes, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt, chicken stock, and sweet potatoes and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. (If not slow cooking, add all the same ingredients into the Dutch oven, cover, and bring to a boil. Then simmer uncovered for ~20 minutes.)
- Cube avocado.
- Once chili is done, season to taste with salt, pepper, any more of the spices, or dig into your condiments. Portion into bowls and let everyone top with cilantro, avocado and sour cream. Scoop with tortilla chips if using.
So yummy and easier to make than I thought. I cooked everything in my instant pot (sauteed, then slow cooked). I didn't start this until late in the afternoon so I let it slow cook for one hour on high and then did a second saute until the potatoes were cooked through. I highly recommend adding the cilantro and sour cream (non dairy) on top.0 Helpful
It's not necessary to soak the lentils overnight. They have plenty of time to cook in the slow cooker. I made two small crockpots: one vegetarian, one with sausage added for my husband. He loved it.0 Helpful
Very good, but best of all - it's super easy to make. I used about 1.5 cups of crushed tomatoes and 2.5 cups of stock because the fluid cooked down quickly cooking on high for 4 hours. Pay attention to your liquid ratio though as this is better served thicker/heartier than thin.0 Helpful
This was so tasty!! The avocado was the perfect addition. I only wish I had made a bigger pot of this so there would be more leftovers!!!0 Helpful
My favorite so far! I made it on the stove top.0 Helpful
Used beef, added kidney beans, used 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, and some extra broth. It was a hit!0 Helpful