Caramel Chicken Brussels Sprouts Stir-Frywith rice / Asian marinated cucumbers
This is a creative twist on a classic stir-fry that was first featured in May 2014 and remains one of our favorites. A sweet-savory stir-fry sauce coats chicken and tender brussels sprouts for a fast, flavorful weeknight meal.
- Chicken, boneless breasts or thighs - 1 lb, chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb, trimmed and halved through root
- Mushrooms, shiitake - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Fish sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Cornstarch - 1/2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Lime or lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Cucumbers - 1 lb, chopped (Look for Persian or English cucumbers which have fewer seeds)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Rice, white or brown - 1 cup
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces, tenderize and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Brussels sprouts / Shiitake mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Marinate cucumbers - Chop. Toss with soy sauce (the portion for the cucumbers), rice vinegar, and toasted sesame oil. Cover and refrigerate until it’s time to eat. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Rice - Double if making Thursday's meal. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Mix together minced garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, water, and first part of cornstarch.
- Place brussels sprouts in a microwave-safe container. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 2 ½ to 3 minutes.
- Toss chicken with second part of cornstarch.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat and add cooking oil. Add chicken to heated oil and stir-fry until golden on the outside, ~5 minutes. Use tongs to remove chicken from wok leaving oil in the pan (chicken does not have to be cooked all the way through at this point).
- Toss mushrooms into the wok and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. If the wok looks too dry, add a splash of water.
- Add brussels sprouts to wok and stir-fry for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return chicken to wok, and push all ingredients to the sides forming a hole in the middle. Give stir-fry sauce a stir and pour it into the middle. Once it starts to bubble and darken, toss so that the sauce covers everything. Remove from heat and finish with lime or lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If rice was made ahead, warm in the microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over rice. Enjoy with cucumbers on the side.
Subbed carrots and snap peas for mushrooms because that’s what I had on hand. Doubled the sauce and marinated the chicken in sauce for 30 mins. Tasty, although I have to get used to the fish sauce smell. Husband loved it!0 Helpful
Really good! First time making cauliflower rice - quite good! From reading other comments about the chicken being bland and dry, I decided to make two batches of the sauce and marinated the chicken in the first batch for about 30 min. Turned out really well! :)0 Helpful
As with some other reviewers, my veggies definitely did soak up all of the sauce. So the veggies were tasty - I did end up substituting carrots for mushrooms - but the chicken had almost no flavor. Cucumbers were a nice contrast, but I don't know that the marinade did much for them.0 Helpful
It was ok - but I had trouble with the fish sauce smell, without the smell I might have enjoyed it better - I definitely would have preferred to swap for a less smelly sauce :) Not the smell or flavor you expect with something labeled as 'caramel' ...0 Helpful
Added sliced almonds and carrots, no mushrooms for me. Brussels sprouts soaked up the sauce and were so yummy! The Beyond Meat grilled chicken package had 9oz, rather than 16 oz called for, and it was plenty! My only complaint is that all the sauce got soaked up by the sprouts and chick'n, so it verged on dry. Flavor and textures were yummy!0 Helpful
Not a fan of this recipe -- the brussels sprouts seemed to soak up all the flavor, and everything else was bland. We expected a sweet and savory sauce, but it was not.0 Helpful