Sauteed Chicken Breasts
with pan sauce and mashed sweet potatoes
You'll feel like a professional chef making your own pan sauce to go over these chicken breasts (or tofu for vegetarians). It's amazing how much a little flavor some wine and chicken stock can add. Enjoy it over a bed of light & fluffy mashed sweet potatoes.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs , peeled & chopped into 1" cubes
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup
Garlic Soy Marinade:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
Chicken Breasts with Pan Sauce:
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lb
- Garlic soy marinade - 1/3 cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Parsley (opt) - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Stock, any variety - 1 1/4 cup
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Marinade - Mix marinade ingredients together. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and marinate (ideally overnight) in the garlic-soy marinade. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Parsley - Chop. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes - Peel and chop into 1" (2.5 cm) cubes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Corn starch mixture - Mix corn starch with water.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Place chopped sweet potatoes into a pot and cover with cold water by about an inch. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until you can easily insert a knife through the potatoes, ~6 to 10 minutes. When sweet potatoes are done, drain and let steam for ~5 minutes so some of the moisture evaporates.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil, and then chicken to heated oil. Sear on both sides for 3 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, and add 2 more thyme sprigs, white wine, and chicken stock, scraping up any brown bits that may have formed on the pan. There will be some steaming action, so be careful! Cover and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes, until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F (74C) degrees. Instead of using a thermometer, I use touch. Press down on the chicken and if it has a little bit of give, it's done. Rock hard is overcooked, really squishable is still too uncooked.
- Remove cooked chicken from pan and add mustard and corn starch mixture to the pan. Bring to a simmer and let sauce cook until it's thickened. Turn off heat, and add lemon, parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve over chicken.
- Mash sweet potatoes with Greek yogurt, starting with less and adding more as needed. Season to taste with salt.