Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie with Lentils and Mushroomsand mixed greens salad
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Mustard powder (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Parsley, dried (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1/2, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Potatoes, russet - 1 lb, peeled and cubed
- Mixed frozen vegetables - 1 1/2 cups (like peas, corn and carrots)
- Cooked lentils - 2 cups, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce - 2 tsp (sub soy sauce)
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Grapes, red or green - 16, halved
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Spice mix - Combine all ingredients for spice mix. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Green onions - Prep as directed. Combine onions and white parts of green onions in one container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Potatoes / Grapes - Prep as directed and store separately. Soak potatoes in water if not using right away. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Frozen vegetable mix - Place in a colander and run under warm tap water to defrost.
- Lentils - Drain and rinse.
- Turn on the oven's broiler and place an oven rack about 6" / 15cm under the heat source.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced by a knife. Drain and let sit in a colander for ~5 minutes to let the steam escape (this creates creamier potatoes vs. liquidy potatoes).
- While potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms are deep golden brown, ~5 minutes. Add onions and white parts of green onions to hot oil. Saute until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add spice mix and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Add lentils and frozen vegetables and saute to heat through, ~1 minute. Stir in water, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste.
- Transfer filling to a lightly greased 8" x 8" / 20cm x 20cm baker.
- Use a masher to mash steamed potatoes with sour cream, butter and some salt. Spoon over top of filling and spread to evenly cover.
- Broil for 8 to 12 minutes, until the top is golden brown and crisp.
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard and honey in a mixing bowl. Add olive oil while whisking. Add mixed greens, grapes and almonds to vinaigrette. Toss just before serving.
- Sprinkle shepherd's pie with green parts of green onions. Enjoy with salad on the side.
Made the vegetarian version of this recipe and it was a hit for the entire family. It was one of the best shepherd's pies I have had!0 Helpful
The effort to make this is worth it. This is a go to for dinner and a welcome addition to vegetarian potluck get togehter.0 Helpful
Excellent shepherd’s pie! We served it for friends and they all loved it, vegetarians and omnivores alike.0 Helpful
This was a big hit. I have made the paleo version a number of times. I double the spices and husband loves it.0 Helpful
Doubled the mashed potatoes and the "sauce" ingredients, per comments from others. Yummy!0 Helpful
My family loved this dish. I made it all at once with no prep in advance. It took a LONG time to make and a lot of dishes! If I make it again, I will for sure prep in advance!!0 Helpful