Mediterranean Shrimp with Feta
and pasta / broccoli
Baking in a quick and spicy tomato sauce yields tender, slow-cooked shrimp. Serve this Mediterranean-style dish over pasta with salty feta cheese on top.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Pasta, fusilli - 8 oz
- Onions, medium - 1/2, diced
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Tomatoes, crushed (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz
- Broccoli - 10 oz, finely chopped
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Cook pasta - (Skip if pasta was made ahead for Tuesday.) Bring a stock pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Onions / Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine onions and bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- While oven heats, heat a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add onions and bell peppers with a pinch of salt. Saute until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add diced tomatoes (including juice) and crushed tomatoes and stir to combine. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Arrange shrimp on top of tomato sauce in a single layer. Crumble feta over top. Transfer to oven and bake until shrimp are cooked through and cheese is golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- While shrimp cooks, place broccoli into a microwave-safe container. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 3 to 4 minutes, until tender. Season with some salt and pepper.
- If pasta was made ahead, reheat it in the microwave.
- Serve shrimp over pasta. Enjoy with broccoli on the side.
I loved it; my bf not so much because he was expecting a thicker sauce. To do that, should we have waited for it to thicken while on the stove top or should we have left it in the oven for a bit longer?0 Helpful
Shrimp wasn't done correctly. But unlike the rest of the reviewers I needed to leave In longer.0 Helpful
Definitely a go to meal for me prior to CookSmarts! Shrimp, feta, pasta... Favorite combo! Loved the addition of red peppers!0 Helpful
Very good, loved the sauce and the feta was just the right amount of cheese so no parm needed, and I say this as a lover of cheese. The shrimp was also perfectly cooked.0 Helpful
Added in the broccoli to the pan right before it went in the oven, doubled the shrimp, left off the feta (not by choice) and finished the dish with a good helping of lemon juice and parm... soooooo good.0 Helpful
Delicious, but a few disappointments with the recipe itself: (1) I don't have a microwave and wish so many recipes didn't depend on that for time-saving. I want quick recipes even without use of a microwave! (2) Once I bump up the recipes to make 6 or 8 servings, the instructions aren't always very accurate. No way I could fit 2+ lbs of shrimp in a single layer. (I put them in two layers and it was fine.) I wish the recipe instructions would change to accommodate higher volume.0 Helpful