Asian Kale Salad with Seared Pork Chops
and peanut dressing / Asian pears / celery
Smarts: One easy way to 'winter-fy' salads is to add a warm protein to make them feel more comforting.
- Pork chops (<1" thick) - 1 lb
- Baby kale - 11 oz (sub 1 bunch kale, stems removed)
- Celery - 4 ribs, julienned or sliced
- Asian pears - 2, julienned or sliced (sub other pear)
- Peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Ginger - 1 inch, grated
- Peanut butter - 1/4 cup (creamy is preferred, but crunchy will also work)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 1 Tbsp (sub other hot sauce)
- Lime - 1, juice of
- Pork chops - Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Grate ginger (if using). Soften peanut butter in the microwave for ~30 seconds. Mix with ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, cooking oil, Sriracha (or other hot sauce), and lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Dress kale - Dress kale with half of the dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to soften the kale.
- Celery / Asian pear - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush with some oil and then place pork chops on heated oil. Sear on each side for ~3 minutes. For thin pork chops, this should be enough heat to cook them through. If you’re using thicker pork chops, lower heat and cover with a piece of foil until pork reaches 145F (or 63C) degrees. When done, let pork rest for ~5 minutes before slicing.
- Add celery, Asian pear, and peanuts to dressed kale. Toss and portion out the salad. Top with pork slices and drizzle remainder of the dressing over pork. Enjoy!
Loved the sauce,0 Helpful
The pork chop and sauce was really good. Didn't really care for the salad. -R0 Helpful
I made this pork with the peanut dressing (favoriting for the sauce)-- but with the GREEN BEANS from ROASTED CHICKEN WITH DATES AND CAPERS. My family loved it! I couldn't believe the 4 yr old asked for more green beans. They were so simple!0 Helpful
tasty - the sauce was AWESOME but ingredients so so . will have to keep using sauce0 Helpful
That peanut sauce was amazing, made the kale actually edible for someone who does not generally like kale. Everything went really well together I can't wait to make it again. I think I just want to keep that peanut sauce on hand for anything.0 Helpful
Excellent dressing. I added udon noodles because I was feeling naughty.0 Helpful