Huevos Mediterraneanwith hummus / roasted red pepper salsa / egg
Give these speedy toasted flatbreads layers of flavor with hummus, sauteed spinach and roasted red pepper salsa leftover from Monday. Crack an egg right in the middle before baking these so you get creamy, savory egg in every bite.
- Onions, red and medium - 1/4, chopped
- Roasted red peppers (16 oz / 454 g) - 1/2 jar
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 tsp
- Capers - 1 Tbsp, drained and rinsed
- Aluminum foil - 1 sheet
- Bread, pita - 4 rounds (sub any flatbread)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Spinach, frozen - 8 oz (look for spinach labelled chopped or cut)
- Hummus - 8 oz
- Roasted red pepper salsa (ingredients listed separately) - ~1 cup
- Eggs - 4
- Make salsa - (Skip if salsa was already made ahead for Monday.) Place onions in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse onions until broken down into small pieces. Drain and rinse red peppers and add to onions with vinegar and capers. Pulse 8 to 10 more times, until ingredients are chopped but small pieces still remain. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C. Line a sheet pan with foil and spray it lightly with nonstick cooking spray or brush with some cooking oil. Arrange pita bread in a single layer on foil.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then spinach (no need to defrost it) with some salt. Saute spinach until defrosted. Pour off excess water and return pan to heat. Continue cooking until spinach is dry and tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- While spinach cooks, transfer sheet pan to oven and toast pita on one side until it begins to turn golden, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Flip pita bread so toasted side is facing down. Spread hummus on top. Add spinach and red pepper salsa, concentrating toppings around the edges to form a "nest" for the egg. Crack an egg into the center of each pita.
- Transfer pan to the oven and bake until the edges of the pita are crisp and the eggs are cooked to your liking (we like the yolks runny), 13 to 16 minutes.
- When eggs are cooked to your liking, remove pan from oven. Season the eggs with some salt and black pepper.
- Slice pitas into wedges like pizzas before serving. Enjoy!
Wanted to love but didn't...not often for cooksmarts. Instructions had the pita wayyyy overcooked0 Helpful
Didn't toast the flatbread ahead of time. Made this once as written (baking the egg), but the egg white was still a bit uncooked when the yolk started hardening. The egg turned out an odd consistency. Made a second round where I fried an egg over medium separately and added after baking the pizza. Way better! Also added goat cheese and black olivrs. Overall, easy and delish.0 Helpful
This was just not good at all! The flavors not mixed well and it was just not a tasty mail I will not be making us again0 Helpful
This was a fail for us. Flavors were OK, but nothing special for the amount of prep. I didn't care for the pita we chose which was part of the problem. I agree you should add cheese and the eggs need more flavor.0 Helpful
Very good. A nice mix up! Only wished we had more salsa leftover from earlier in the week.0 Helpful
I had a lot of trouble balancing the egg on top of the pita - regardless of how much of a "bowl" I created with the hummus and sauce; so that didn't work out very well. Over all, I just wasn't into the taste. Out of all of the recipes I've tried, it's probably my least favorite.0 Helpful