Tuscan White Bean Stew
with Italian side salad
This Tuscan-inspired stew is full of some of our favorite Mediterranean ingredients including white beans, artichoke hearts and spinach. We serve it over quinoa to soak up the stew and enjoy it with a classic Italian salad on the side. A version of this meal was first featured in November 2015.
- Cheese, Parmesan - 2 oz , grated
- Tomatoes, roma - 4 , chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts , chopped (sub butterhead)
- Black olives, sliced (2.25 oz / 63 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Mayonnaise - 1 Tbsp , sub plain Greek yogurt
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Artichoke hearts, frozen or canned - 16 , chopped
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g can) - 2 cans , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Spinach, frozen - 6 oz (look for spinach labelled chopped or cut)
- Rosemary, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
Quinoa - (Skip if quinoa was already made ahead on Monday.) Combine quinoa with stock (the portion for quinoa) and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat when finished to prevent burning / sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Onions / Cheese / Garlic - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Artichoke hearts - If using frozen artichoke hearts, defrost in microwave; if using canned artichoke hearts, drain and rinse. Roughly chop. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Beans / Olives - Drain and rinse.
Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add cooking oil. When oil is hot, add onion and saute until onion is soft, ~3 minutes. Add spinach and garlic and saute until spinach is wilted and excess liquid has cooked off, 3 to 4 minutes. Add stock (the portion for the stew), beans, artichoke hearts and rosemary sprigs and simmer until stew reduces slightly, ~8 minutes. Discard rosemary sprigs.
While stew simmers, whisk together mayonnaise, olive oil, vinegar and oregano. Toss lettuce, olives and tomatoes in dressing. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over top.
Reheat quinoa if made ahead.
Serve stew over quinoa with salad on the side. Enjoy!