Tuscan White Bean Stew
with Italian side salad
This Tuscan-inspired stew is full of some of our favorite Mediterranean ingredients including white beans, artichoke hearts and spinach. We serve it over quinoa to soak up the stew and enjoy it with a classic Italian salad on the side. A version of this meal was first featured in November 2015.
- Cheese, Parmesan - 2 oz, grated
- Tomatoes, roma - 4, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped (sub butterhead)
- Black olives, sliced (2.25 oz / 63 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Mayonnaise - 1 Tbsp, sub plain Greek yogurt
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1/2, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Artichoke hearts, frozen or canned - 16, chopped
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g can) - 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Spinach, frozen - 6 oz (look for spinach labelled chopped or cut)
- Rosemary, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Quinoa - (Skip if quinoa was already made ahead on Monday.) Combine quinoa with stock (the portion for quinoa) and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat when finished to prevent burning / sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Cheese / Garlic - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Artichoke hearts - If using frozen artichoke hearts, defrost in microwave; if using canned artichoke hearts, drain and rinse. Roughly chop. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans / Olives - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add cooking oil. When oil is hot, add onion and saute until onion is soft, ~3 minutes. Add spinach and garlic and saute until spinach is wilted and excess liquid has cooked off, 3 to 4 minutes. Add stock (the portion for the stew), beans, artichoke hearts and rosemary sprigs and simmer until stew reduces slightly, ~8 minutes. Discard rosemary sprigs.
- While stew simmers, whisk together mayonnaise, olive oil, vinegar and oregano. Toss lettuce, olives and tomatoes in dressing. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over top.
- Reheat quinoa if made ahead.
- Serve stew over quinoa with salad on the side. Enjoy!
I did not add the Pancetta (because I couldn't find any) or the artichoke hearts (because I don't like them), but the remaining was a surprisingly easy to eat dish with essentially plain chicken. I made this for my lunch for the week and now I'm actually looking forward to lunch.0 Helpful
Used chicken breast skipped quinoa (ate like original version with bread)0 Helpful
Loved it. The leftovers make a great soup. I chopped the chicken, added all the quinoa and veggies, and however much stock you like, a can of diced tomatoes, a little more Italian seasoning, fresh pepper. Simmer till hot. Delicious.0 Helpful
Would use chicken breasts and fresh spinach next time. And less chicken stock at the end.0 Helpful
Didn't have fresh rosemary, so used dried. Woody bits in every bite. :( Lesson learned.0 Helpful
Thought this was going to be good but I was disappointed. Kinda bland.0 Helpful