Indian Banh Mi with Paneer
side salad with paprika vinaigrette
- Carrots, medium - 2
- Apple cider vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Red wine vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Cucumbers - 1/2, sliced
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, leaves torn from stems
- Jalapeno - 1, sliced thinly
- Paneer - 10 oz, sliced (sub tofu, queso fresco, or halloumi)
- Curry powder - 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric - 1 Tbsp
- Leftover tikka masala sauce (from Tue) - 1/4 cup
- Plain yogurt - 1/4 cup
- Baguette - 10 oz (sub sandwich rolls)
- Carrot slaw - Grate carrots using a food processor, box grater, or julienne peeler. Toss with apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, coriander, cumin, and salt. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Paneer - Slice into 1/2” (1.25 cm) thick rectangles that can easily be sandwiched. Sprinkle with curry powder, turmeric, and some salt and pepper.
- Make tikka masala sauce - Combine leftover tikka masala sauce with yogurt.
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together red wine vinegar, paprika, honey, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers - Prep as directed.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Brush lightly with some oil and then add paneer slices to the pan. Fry on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes each. Depending on the size of your pan, you might have to do this in batches.
- Slice open baguettes. Assemble sandwiches by spreading tikka masala sauce onto bread and then layering in paneer, carrot slaw, cilantro leaves, and sliced jalapenos.
- Toss vinaigrette with cucumbers and greens (and leftover carrot slaw if you have any). Enjoy Indian paneer banh mi with side salad.
Loved this!!!! Almost better than the meatballs were last night. Added green onions to the salad and used balsamic instead of red wine vinegar and honey. The carrot slaw makes the sandwich.0 Helpful
I loved this! I thought it was such a great use of leftovers - just different enough to be exciting.0 Helpful
Huge hit in my house! A great use of paneer.0 Helpful
Did not use jalapeno, the dish had plenty of flavor.0 Helpful
The carrot slaw was wonderful. Loved this recipe.0 Helpful
Used queso fresco. Yummy!0 Helpful