Indian Banh Mi with Leftover Meatballs
side salad with paprika vinaigrette
Our leftover Indian meatballs from Tuesday are perfect for a Vietnamese-style banh mi sandwich. Garnished with a carrot slaw, jalapenos, cilantro, and a drizzle of our leftover masala sauce, these will look like they were created by a professional caterer!
- Carrots, medium - 2
- Apple cider vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Red wine vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Cucumbers - 1/2, sliced
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, leaves torn from stems
- Jalapeno - 1, sliced thinly
- Leftover tikka masala sauce (from Tue) - 1/4 cup
- Plain yogurt - 1/4 cup
- Leftover Indian meatballs (from Tue) - 8, sliced in half
- Baguette, gluten-free (sub any gluten-free rolls) - 10 oz
- Carrot slaw - Grate carrots using a food processor, box grater, or julienne peeler. Toss with apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, coriander, cumin, and salt. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make tikka masala sauce - Combine leftover tikka masala sauce with yogurt.
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together red wine vinegar, paprika, honey, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers - Prep as directed.
- Slice meatballs in half and lightly warm up meatballs in the microwave.
- Slice open baguettes. Assemble sandwiches by spreading tikka masala sauce onto bread and then layering in meatballs (4 halves / serving), carrot slaw, cilantro leaves, and sliced jalapenos.
- Toss vinaigrette with cucumbers and greens (and leftover carrot slaw if you have any). Enjoy Indian meatball banh mi with side salad.
Loved this!!!! Almost better than the meatballs were last night. Added green onions to the salad and used balsamic instead of red wine vinegar and honey. The carrot slaw makes the sandwich.0 Helpful
I loved this! I thought it was such a great use of leftovers - just different enough to be exciting.0 Helpful
Huge hit in my house! A great use of paneer.0 Helpful
Did not use jalapeno, the dish had plenty of flavor.0 Helpful
The carrot slaw was wonderful. Loved this recipe.0 Helpful
Used queso fresco. Yummy!0 Helpful