Indian Meatball Masala with Quinoa
with roasted Indian okra
Who says meatballs are only for Italian cooking? We give these meatballs an Indian spin with lots of spices!
Smarts: Making a double batch of meatballs is pretty easy. Use half tonight and the other half for Indian Banh Mi sandwiches on Wednesday.
- Okra - 1 lb, trimmed and halved (sub green beans or broccoli)
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Curry powder - 1/2 tsp
- Ground turkey (sub chicken or pork) - 2 lbs
- Egg - 1
- Curry powder - 4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp + 1 1/2 tsp
- Cayenne pepper - 1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Chicken stock (sub water) - 3 cups
- Ginger, fresh (opt) - 1 Tbsp, grated
- Onions - 1, diced
- Cilantro - 8 sprigs, chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Coriander - 2 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Nutmeg - 1/2 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 3 cups
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Cream (sub plain yogurt) - 1/2 cup
- Lemons - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Make meatballs - This makes enough for two nights of dinner. Combine ground meat with egg, curry powder, garlic powder, turmeric, first part of cumin, first part of cayenne, salt, and tomato paste. Form into 1.5” (3.75 cm) wide meatballs. If the filling feels too wet to form into meatballs, you can add some breadcrumbs. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Quinoa - Combine quinoa with 2x the amount of stock in a saucepan. Add in some salt, cover, and bring to a boil. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Okra - If using fresh okra, slice off stems and then half lengthwise. If prepping right before cooking, skip to make steps #1 - 2 before returning to prep. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Ginger / Onions / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead).
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Toss okra with oil and spread onto a sheet pan. Roast for 20 minutes, shaking once midway through.
- While okra roasts, heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and then ginger, onions, coriander, paprika, second part of cumin, nutmeg, and second part of cayenne to melted butter. Saute for ~2 minutes and then add in crushed tomatoes, water, and cream. Bring to a simmer.
- Drop in meatballs and simmer in sauce for 14 to 16 minutes or until meat is cooked through. Flip once midway through.
- When okra is done, season with cumin and curry powder. Lightly salt and pepper and toss.
- Serve meatball tikka masala with chopped cilantro and lemon wedges over quinoa, plus roasted okra on the side. Remember to save half the meatballs and 1/4 cup (59 mL) of tikka masala sauce (amount for 4 servings; adjust accordingly if customizing) for later this week.
Roughly followed the recipe. I used 1 lb of ground turkey for 4 servings, I am not sure why they say to use so much meat. I also subbed the cream for plain yogurt (win!). Roasted both green beans and broccoli. This meal was absolutely delicious and I am definitely making it again.0 Helpful
Almost four stars for me! Had to adjust the seasoning of the sauce a bit, added 2 tsp of garam masala. Meat balls great as is, made using pork. Served with cauliflower rice (I can't eat quinoa) and green beans prepared in the same fashion as the okra. I think next time I roast green beans, I'll do it for less time. If I make this again, I'd season the green beans more subtlely as I found it was too much spice with the curry. Can't wait to have sandwiches with the leftovers tomorrow!0 Helpful
This was nothing short of spectacular! Can't wait to make these flavorful meatballs again!0 Helpful
So great - took a long time and lots of ingredients but so well worth it. Doubled the recipe so we've got lots of meatballs. Subbed broccoli for okra - was delicious.0 Helpful
This was really good, but did take me a very long time to make.0 Helpful
Was delicious. Was confused by the instructions on chicken stock though. Also would have liked the breadcrumbs maybe mentioned in the ingredients so I could've gotten some when I shopped, maybe as optional? Otherwise very happy with this meal :)0 Helpful