Ham and Cheese Frittata
with spinach, orange, pomegranate seed salad
Ham and cheese are a classic pair, but instead of putting them in a sandwich, we combine them in this savory frittata. The festive side salad reminds us of the holidays with bright pops of color from oranges and pomegranate seeds.
Ham and Cheese Frittata:
- Bell peppers, any color - 1/2 , diced
- Ham, deli-sliced - 4 oz , chopped
- Eggs - 8
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 4 Tbsp
Spinach Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Almonds:
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Oranges - 1 , peeled and sliced into wedges
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz (sub other salad greens)
- Pomegranate seeds - 1/4 cup (look for these already removed from their shell in the refrigerated produce section)
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. (Note: If making more or less than 4 servings, consider making mini frittatas in a muffin pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.)
- Heat 9" to 10" (22.5 to 25cm) skillet over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then bell peppers to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Stir in ham.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables (if making in a muffin tin, transfer vegetables to muffin tin and then pour egg mixture over top). Stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes (12 to 15 minutes for muffin tin frittatas), until a knife comes out clean.
- While frittata cooks, whisk together vinegar, maple syrup and mustard. Whisk while adding olive oil. Slice oranges into segments.
- Just before serving, toss vinaigrette with orange segments, spinach, pomegranate seeds and almonds.
- Slice frittata and serve with yogurt on top. Enjoy with salad on the side.