Tomato, Avocado, Hummus Melts
with strawberry & arugula salad
We all have exhausting nights when a sandwich is the best dinner we can make. Luckily this one is no ordinary PBJ. Open-faced sandwiches are just more sophisticated, and when you use hummus, you're a real epicure. Top with cheese and melt under your broiler. And while we're still enjoying summer strawberries, let's make this strawberry & arugula salad again.
Strawberry Arugula Salad:
- Fennel - 1 small bulb , thinly sliced
- Strawberries - 1/2 pint , sliced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Arugula - 6 oz
- Pecans - 1/4 cup
Tomato & Avocado Melts with hummus:
- Ciabatta - 1 loaf ((or other good open-faced melt bread))
- Avocados - 2 , sliced
- Tomatoes - 2 , sliced
- Hummus - 8 oz
- Mozzarella / fontina cheese - 4 to 8 slices
- Spread hummus onto bread (if you still have roasted red pepper sauce from earlier in the week, mix some of that in!). Then top with avocado, tomatoes, and cheese. Place onto baking sheet and then under broiler for about 6 to 8 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- While sandwiches are heating, whisk together balsamic, mustard, and oil. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Toss vinaigrette with fennel, strawberries, arugula, and pecans. Enjoy with your open-faced melt!