Tomato, Avocado, Hummus Melts
with strawberry & arugula salad
- Fennel - 1 small bulb, thinly sliced
- Strawberries - 1/2 pint, sliced
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Olive oil - 3 Tbsp
- Arugula - 6 oz
- Pecans - 1/4 cup
- Ciabatta - 1 loaf ((or other good open-faced melt bread))
- Avocados - 2, sliced
- Tomatoes - 2, sliced
- Hummus - 8 oz
- Mozzarella / fontina cheese - 4 to 8 slices
- Spread hummus onto bread (if you still have roasted red pepper sauce from earlier in the week, mix some of that in!). Then top with avocado, tomatoes, and cheese. Place onto baking sheet and then under broiler for about 6 to 8 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- While sandwiches are heating, whisk together balsamic, mustard, and oil. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Toss vinaigrette with fennel, strawberries, arugula, and pecans. Enjoy with your open-faced melt!
We really loved the sandwiches and but did not like the raw fennel in the salad. I could probably substitute some celery instead.0 Helpful
I only did the sandwiches, but they were yummy. I used my homemade hummus and added some leftover roast beef. The only think I would do differently is add a little more cheese under the avocado to help it adhere a little better...0 Helpful
Don't forget a big crack of pepper before broiling.0 Helpful
These were incredibly simple to make and extremely tasty. We had leftover french bread baguettes and I used that to make the sandwiches. Yummy!0 Helpful
This was so tasty, I want to eat it every day. So flavourful and yet still so light!0 Helpful
My husband and I LOVED the melts and had it for dinner and lunch the next day. I used a Spicy Avocado hummus that was perfect for the dish. We will definitely be making this again (and again).0 Helpful