Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Tenders with Sage
and arugula salad / honey-glazed carrots
An extra step to wrap chicken and sage in bacon strips is beautiful as well as functional in this elegant dinner. The bacon infuses the chicken with flavor and keeps it moist as it cooks.
- Chicken tenders - 8 (sub boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced)
- Sage leaves (opt) - 8
- Bacon - 8 slices
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Arugula - 4 oz
- Almonds, sliced (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Carrots - 3/4 lb, sliced thinly
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Wrap chicken - Season chicken tenders on all sides with some salt and pepper. Top each chicken tender with a leaf of sage. Wrap each chicken tender (including sage leaf) in a strip of bacon, keeping the bacon in a single layer as you wrap it. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (the portion for the carrots) and then carrots to heated oil. Saute until carrots are beginning to brown on the outside, 2 to 3 minutes. Add stock, honey, vinegar and salt to pan and give a stir to combine. Cover pan with a lid or foil and reduce heat to low-medium. Continue to cook covered, until carrots are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- While carrots cook, in a mixing bowl whisk together balsamic vinegar, mustard and maple syrup. Add olive oil while whisking. Pile arugula and almonds on top of vinaigrette (but don't combine).
- When carrots are finished cooking transfer to a serving plate and cover to keep warm. Wipe out pan and return to heat.
- Add cooking oil (the portion for the chicken) to heated pan and increase heat to medium-high. Transfer wrapped chicken tenders to heated oil, keeping the bacon wrapped around the chicken as tightly as possible. Sear chicken tenders on both sides until bacon is crisp and chicken is cooked through, ~ 5 minutes on each side.
- Toss salad just before serving.
- Serve chicken over arugula with carrots on the side. Enjoy!
Double up on the sage0 Helpful
I loved it, my husband said it was "okay".0 Helpful
Next time… I will put half the pepper and red pepper flakes. I will do 5 cloves of garlic. Love all the leftovers... 5 servings at our house0 Helpful
Hubby and kids love it. Pretty easy weeknight dinner0 Helpful
I added shallots and parm cheese0 Helpful
Both the kids and hubby liked it. Will definitely save this one.0 Helpful