Creamy Bowties with Ham and Peasand honey-glazed carrots
There is something almost nostalgic about creamy bowtie pasta with peas and ham. This comforting classic is always a hit with kids and adults alike (as are the sweet glazed carrots served on the side).
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ham, deli-sliced - 4 oz, chopped
- Pasta, farfalle "bowties" - 8 oz (sub any fun pasta shape)
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup (sub canned peas)
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/2 cup
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Carrots - 3/4 lb, sliced thinly
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic / Carrots - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Ham - Chop ham. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Peas - If using frozen peas, defrost by running them under warm water or warming in the microwave. If using canned, drain and rinse.
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. About 1 minute before finishing, add in peas. Drain.
- While pasta cooks, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then carrots to heated oil. Saute until carrots are beginning to brown on the outside, 2 to 3 minutes. Add stock, honey, vinegar and salt to pan and give a stir to combine. Cover pan with a lid or foil and reduce heat to low-medium. Continue to cook covered, until carrots are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- When carrots are finished cooking transfer to a serving plate and cover to keep warm. Wipe out pan and return to heat.
- Add butter to heated pan. When butter melts, add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over top and stir until no more dry spots of flour remain.
- Pour stock into pan and whisk well. Let stock bubble until it starts to thicken, ~2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low (high heat will cause the cream to curdle). Add heavy cream and simmer until sauce is thick and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in pasta, peas and ham. Season with some salt. Top pasta with black pepper, red pepper flakes (if you'd like it spicy) and lemon zest.
- Serve pasta with carrots on the side. Enjoy!
Double up on the sage0 Helpful
I loved it, my husband said it was "okay".0 Helpful
Next time… I will put half the pepper and red pepper flakes. I will do 5 cloves of garlic. Love all the leftovers... 5 servings at our house0 Helpful
Hubby and kids love it. Pretty easy weeknight dinner0 Helpful
I added shallots and parm cheese0 Helpful
Both the kids and hubby liked it. Will definitely save this one.0 Helpful