Tomato Braised White Beans & Mushrooms over Polenta
with mixed green salad
- Polenta, pre-cooked - 16 oz , sliced into 1/4" / 0.6cm thick pieces ((usually found in a tube))
- Onions - 1 , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Mushrooms, cremini - 12 oz , sliced
- Cannellini beans (14oz / 397g) - 1 can
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red wine (opt) - 6 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes (14oz / 397g) - 1 can
- Stock, chicken - 1/4 cup
- Italian seasonings - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Rosemary (opt) - 1 sprig
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Salad greens, any type - 4 oz
Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
Spread polenta out onto a foil-lined sheet pan. Brush both sides with some oil (not listed) and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, flipping once midway through.
While polenta bakes, heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then onions and garlic to heated oil with some salt. Saute until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
Then fold in mushrooms and red wine and saute until red wine is evaporated. (If not using red wine, saute for 2 to 3 minutes.)
Next add crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, Italian seasonings, sugar and rosemary sprig (if using). Saute for another 4 to 6 minutes.
Fold in beans and saute until mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt, pepper or more Italian seasonings.
Toss greens with vinaigrette. Serve mushrooms and beans over polenta and enjoy with greens on the side.