Chicken and Waffles
with mixed green salad
- Chicken breasts, skinless & boneless - 2
- Salt - 1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Hot sauce - 2 tsp ((opt))
- Mustard, dijon - 1 tsp
- Buttermilk, low-fat - 1/4 cup
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1 cup
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Eggs - 1
- Buttermilk, low-fat - 3/4 cup
- Flour, whole wheat - 1 cup ((sub all purpose))
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- Maple syrup - for serving
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Salad greens, any type - 4 oz
- Marinate chicken - (If prepping day-of, warm up oven in Make Step #1 before returning to prep.) Slice chicken breasts into 1/2” / 1.3cm thick pieces. In a bowl, mix together first part of salt, hot sauce, Dijon and buttermilk. Transfer sliced chicken into buttermilk and then tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make panko mix - Mix together panko, paprika, second part of salt, and oil in a container that has a lid (like a large Tupperware). (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together paprika, sherry vinegar, Dijon and oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make waffle mix - Melt butter (45 to 60 seconds in the microwave should do). Mix together wet ingredients - butter, eggs and buttermilk in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir everything to combine.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Preheat waffle maker.
- Line a sheet pan with foil. Brush lightly with some oil (not listed). Brush off excess buttermilk and transfer chicken one piece at a time into panko mix. Close lid and shake your container until chicken is coated in panko. Place panko crusted chicken onto sheet pan. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and golden. Flip chicken midway through.
- Following your waffle maker instructions, pour batter into waffle maker (you may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your waffle maker). Bake waffles to your liking.
- When chicken and waffles are done, toss greens with vinaigrette. Serve chicken and waffles with maple syrup and greens on the side.
It was good but I agree with another poster that it was made lots better with sriracha. Also, we made it with buttermilk syrup (to try to use up the carton we'd bought) and that was super good. Just google a recipe - just takes buttermilk, butter, baking soda, vanilla, and sugar. Super easy and a great addition to this VERY hearty meal.0 Helpful
I made it for company and it came out great.0 Helpful
The chicken has become a go to for my family. The kids love it. Super easy and fast.0 Helpful
Kids ate up the waffles on their own :). My husband and I added sriracha and that really made it so much better :).0 Helpful
Used my own waffle receipt and added garlic powder and paprika to batter. Chicken was yummy. I would like a "skinny" or easy gravy receipt to go along next time.0 Helpful
So so.0 Helpful