Curry Baked Salmon
with curried coconut kale
- Brown sugar - 1 1/2 tsp
- Green curry paste - 1 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Stock, chicken - 1/2 cup
- Rice, uncooked, white or brown - 2/3 cup
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Green curry sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 4 Tbsp + 6 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Kale - 1 bunch, leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- Green curry sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 3/4 cup
- Mung bean sprouts - 4 oz
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make curry sauce - Combine and heat brown sugar, curry paste, fish sauce, coconut milk and chicken stock in a small saucepan. Simmer for ~3 minutes. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Kale - Tear leaves into bite-sized pieces. Discard stems. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- We’ll be baking our fish in a foil fish packet, so tear two sheets of foil that will be large enough to fit fish. Place one sheet of foil onto a sheet pan and then fish on top of foil. Sprinkle fish with some salt and pepper and then drizzle with first part of green curry sauce (portion for the salmon). Cover with second sheet of foil and roll up the sides to form a sealed packet.
- Bake fish for 10 to 15 minutes depending on thickness of salmon.
- While salmon bakes, heat up a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add green curry sauce (portion for the kale). When sauce is simmering, add bean sprouts and kale leaves. Cook until greens are wilted and sprouts are tender but still crunchy, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and finish with lime juice.
- Serve salmon with lime wedges and remainder of the green curry sauce. Enjoy salmon and kale over rice.
LOVED this and can’t wait to make it again! Don’t skip the lime - it really adds a lot to the dish (that distinctive sourness of some Thai soups/sauces). We couldn’t find bean sprouts so just went heavier on the kale and it was perfect.0 Helpful
I really loved this. I used red curry paste because my supermarket was out of green and it still came out delicious.0 Helpful
Used red instead of green curry since that's what I had in the fridge. The kale with curry sauce was amazing.0 Helpful
We had this salmon and curry sauce with a side of steamed broccoli instead of the kale (we just drizzled the sauce over the broccoli, rice, and salmon to serve). Very tasty and easy to make. Will refer back to it and make it again!0 Helpful
Husband asked, What's in this kale? It's good.0 Helpful
I wanted to love this, but I didn't. Maybe I should have used regular coconut milk. I doubled the curry paste and added more fish sauce and salt, but it was still bland.0 Helpful