Skirt Steak Salad
with chimichurri dressing
- Cilantro - 1 bunch, bottom stems chopped off (feel free to mix in some parsley too)
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Shallots, small - 1 bulb
- Capers - 2 Tbsp
- Red wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Lime - 1, juice of
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2/3 cup (plus more as needed)
- Steak, skirt - 1 lbs (sub flank, hangar, flat iron)
- Bell peppers, red - 1, stem cored out
- Bell peppers, yellow or orange - 1, stem cored out
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 10 oz, halved
- Mushroom, portobello - 1, stem removed
- Romaine lettuce - 5 oz, chopped
- Homemade chimichurri sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~8 Tbsp
- Skirt steak - Divide into 3” / 7.5cm long segments. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make chimichurri sauce - In a blender or a food processor, combine cilantro, garlic, shallot, capers, red wine vinegar, lime juice, salt, and oil. Add more oil if it’s too thick. Season to taste with salt or more lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Portobello mushrooms - Break off steam.
- Romaine - Chop if not purchased pre-chopped.
- Arrange the top rack of the oven so it’s about 6” / 15cm from the broiler. Turn on the oven's broiler.
- Place steak and bell peppers and mushrooms on a sheet pan. Brush bell peppers and mushrooms with some oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Broil peppers and mushrooms for 5 minutes on each side and steak for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, depending on desired doneness.
- Let steak rest for ~10 minutes before slicing against the grain (i.e., perpendicular to the fibers). While steak rests, chop bell peppers and mushrooms into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss romaine, bell peppers, mushrooms and flank steak with chimichurri sauce. Enjoy!
This was great. My one-year-old couldn't get enough of the chimichurri sauce--and neither could the rest of us.0 Helpful
LOVE the chimichurri sauce! I made it with out capers but it was still amazing! I had to cut up a nd freeze some skirt steak as I could only find one that was quite large. I figure this is fine and will reheat well later on with a new batch of sauce!0 Helpful
Grilled the steak & veggies. Did both steak & portobello with mozerella whips for the cheese. Son & hubby both liked. The chimicurri was great with steak & requested by hubby to save sauce recipe.0 Helpful
Did a pescetarian version of the Paleo Salad with just portabellos, peppers and tomatoes. Served with seared frozen tuna patty. Delicious!0 Helpful
These were really good. everyone liked them.0 Helpful
broiler times may need to be longer if using an electric stove and really only half of the oil is needed for the chimichurri sauce. Family loved it even the picky eater little ones.0 Helpful