Skirt Steak Sandwicheswith chimichurri sauce and chips
Chimichurri and steak are a great combo and everyone will love them with some sweet and crunchy grilled bell peppers in this tasty sandwich. When this recipe was first included in a meal plan in May 2016 we recommended using the grill, but we've brought it indoors this time and get a nice sear under the oven's broiler.
- Cilantro - 1 bunch, bottom stems chopped off (feel free to mix in some parsley too)
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Shallots, small - 1 bulb
- Capers - 2 Tbsp
- Red wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Lime - 1, juice of
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2/3 cup (plus more as needed)
- Steak, skirt - 1 lbs (sub flank, hangar, flat iron)
- Bell peppers, red - 1, sliced into 1-1/2" / 4cm wide slices
- Bell peppers, yellow or orange - 1, sliced into 1-1/2" / 4cm wide slices
- Baguette or ciabatta - 12 oz, sliced open
- Homemade chimichurri sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~8 Tbsp
- Chips, any type for serving (opt) - 4 cups
- Skirt steak - Divide into 3” / 7.5cm long segments. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make chimichurri sauce - In a blender or a food processor, combine cilantro, garlic, shallot, capers, red wine vinegar, lime juice, salt, and oil. Add more oil if it’s too thick. Season to taste with salt or more lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Chop into 1-1/2” / 4cm wide slices. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Bread - Slice bread open through the center lengthwise.
- Arrange the top rack of the oven so it’s about 6” / 15cm from the broiler. Turn on the oven's broiler.
- Place steak and bell peppers on a sheet pan. Brush bell peppers with some oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Broil peppers for 5 minutes on each side and steak for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, depending on desired doneness. Pop the bread in the oven (you can place it right on the rack) for 5 to 7 minutes to toast.
- Let steak rest for ~10 minutes before slicing against the grain (i.e., perpendicular to the fibers).
- Assemble sandwiches by slathering on chimichurri sauce and layering in sliced steak and peppers. Enjoy with chips on the side!
This was great. My one-year-old couldn't get enough of the chimichurri sauce--and neither could the rest of us.0 Helpful
LOVE the chimichurri sauce! I made it with out capers but it was still amazing! I had to cut up a nd freeze some skirt steak as I could only find one that was quite large. I figure this is fine and will reheat well later on with a new batch of sauce!0 Helpful
Grilled the steak & veggies. Did both steak & portobello with mozerella whips for the cheese. Son & hubby both liked. The chimicurri was great with steak & requested by hubby to save sauce recipe.0 Helpful
Did a pescetarian version of the Paleo Salad with just portabellos, peppers and tomatoes. Served with seared frozen tuna patty. Delicious!0 Helpful
These were really good. everyone liked them.0 Helpful
broiler times may need to be longer if using an electric stove and really only half of the oil is needed for the chimichurri sauce. Family loved it even the picky eater little ones.0 Helpful