Honey Garlic Pork Chopswith apple, sweet potato and kale salad
Honey and garlic come together to give these pork chops a sweet / savory glaze. Bake the pork chops in the oven while tossing together a salad with hints of fall flavor from sweet potato and apple matchsticks. This recipe was reviewed as flavorful and fast when we introduced it last September, so we brought it back for this week of quick favorites.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Pork chops, bone-in or out - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sweet potatoes, small - 1, julienne
- Apples, any variety - 1, julienne
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Kale, baby - 5 oz
- Almonds, slivered or sliced (sub peanuts) - 1/4 cup
- Make honey garlic glaze - Chop garlic. Combine garlic with honey, soy sauce and red / white wine vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes - Julienne sweet potatoes (video is for fruit, but slice sweet potatoes into small matchsticks as show in the video). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead.
- Pork chops - Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Apples - Julienne apples. If not using right away, toss with a bit of lemon juice (not in ingredients list) to prevent them from turning brown.
- Heat oven to 425F (218C).
- Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (the portion for the salad) and then sweet potato to heated oil with a pinch of salt. Saute until tender and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Set sweet potato aside and return pan to heat.
- Add cooking oil (the portion for the pork) to heated pan. Sear pork chops for 2 to 3 minutes per side over high heat until they are browned and crisp.
- Transfer pork chops to the oven and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until pork is firm to the the touch (145F / 62C degrees).
- In the last 2 minutes of cooking, brush the top of pork chops with honey garlic glaze.
- Remove pork chops from the pan and allow to rest for five minutes before slicing. Reserve pan sauce that remains after cooking the pork.
- While pork rests, whisk together balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and honey (the portion for the salad). Add olive oil while whisking. Toss kale, apples, sweet potatoes and almonds in dressing. Top the salad with some black pepper.
- Slice pork chops and pour reserved pan sauce over the slices. Serve with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Salad was great! We aren't big fans of pork, and there was maybe too much soy sauce in this? Not exactly sure, but we didn't love the glaze.0 Helpful
Not too bad. Probably won’t make again.0 Helpful
Eggs were quite easy and delicious. Would definitely make this again.0 Helpful
This was great! Next time I'll do it with thicker pork chops and double the sauce.0 Helpful
Really liked the salad0 Helpful
Cook the sauce in sauce pan to thicken and reduce before adding to porkchop.0 Helpful