Spicy Broccoli and Chickpea Orecchiette
with basil and parmesan
Smarts: Italians incorporate pasta water into their sauces. If you salted your water enough, it should be thick and tasty and help make your sauce even creamier and more flavorful.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, sliced thinly
- Broccoli - 1 1/4 lb, chopped
- Basil (opt) - 4 sprigs, chiffonaded
- Garbanzo beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Pasta, orecchiette - 8 oz ((sub any small pasta shape))
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 2 cups
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Cheese, Parmesan - 2 oz, shaved or grated
- Bring a sauce pan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. About 1 minute before finishing, add in broccoli. Drain, saving ½ cup (or 118 ml) of pasta water (for 4 servings, adjust accordingly if customizing).
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then sliced garlic and red pepper flakes to heated oil. Add chickpeas and saute until golden.
- Add crushed tomatoes and pasta water, and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Mix pasta and broccoli into the sauce, and saute until everything is cooked through.
- Remove from heat. Fold in basil, and finish with lemon juice and parmesan cheese (if using). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Loved the ORECCHIETTE--that was a new pasta for me. Will definitely make orecchiette again, but with my own sausage pasta sauce.0 Helpful
Was good. Introduced me to a few new cool cooking techniques (like cooking the broccoli with the pasta, and reserving the pasta water). Noticed there was not much spices - so added garlic and italian seasoning. Still not extremely flavourful, but liked it! I think next time I could cut down on dishes - cuz this time it made a lot. Would probably make again, though, it was tasty and pretty quick.0 Helpful
I used a spicy sausage that made this dish very flavorful. I will use half the amount of onion next time.0 Helpful
Easy, fast, and yummy, but not good as leftovers.0 Helpful
Tasty, we did add some seasoning (garlic and herbs de province) because our sausage is not seasoned.0 Helpful
This went so fast and so did the leftovers0 Helpful