Broccoli and Sausage Frittata
with a side salad
- Broccoli - 1 lb, chopped
- Basil (opt) - 4 sprigs, chiffonaded
- Eggs - 8, whisked
- Coconut milk - 1/4 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 10 oz
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Broccoli - Chop into bite-sized pieces. Place into a microwave-safe container, cover with a wet paper towel, and microwave for 2 to 2.5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Basil (if using) - Chiffonade.
- Eggs - Whisk with coconut milk and some salt and pepper. Fold basil into eggs.
- Heat oven to 400F (or 204C) degrees.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil, and then sausage to heated oil (if you like spice, you can also add some red pepper flakes here). Break sausage up and cook until brown on the outside, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain all but 1.5 tbsp (or 22 ml) of fat out of the pan (discard in the trash and not down the sink to avoid clogging).
- Next fold in broccoli and then pour in whisked eggs. Transfer to oven and bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until a knife comes out cleanly.
- While frittata is baking, make vinaigrette by whisking paprika, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss vinaigrette with tomatoes and mixed greens when frittata is ready. Enjoy frittata with your side salad.
Loved the ORECCHIETTE--that was a new pasta for me. Will definitely make orecchiette again, but with my own sausage pasta sauce.0 Helpful
Was good. Introduced me to a few new cool cooking techniques (like cooking the broccoli with the pasta, and reserving the pasta water). Noticed there was not much spices - so added garlic and italian seasoning. Still not extremely flavourful, but liked it! I think next time I could cut down on dishes - cuz this time it made a lot. Would probably make again, though, it was tasty and pretty quick.0 Helpful
I used a spicy sausage that made this dish very flavorful. I will use half the amount of onion next time.0 Helpful
Easy, fast, and yummy, but not good as leftovers.0 Helpful
Tasty, we did add some seasoning (garlic and herbs de province) because our sausage is not seasoned.0 Helpful
This went so fast and so did the leftovers0 Helpful