Warm Farro and Roasted Vegetable Grain Bowls
with lemon-dill vinaigrette
This warm grain bowl is full of colorful fall vegetables and hearty farro is topped with a fresh, citrus vinaigrette. We love how versatile and adaptable this salad is. Pack it up for lunches or serve leftovers over greens or with pan-seared tofu slices. Smarts: We offer suggestions for the roasted vegetables in the recipe, but just about any combination of root vegetables or squash will work.
- Dill, fresh - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Lemons - 1/2 , zest and juice of
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1/4 cup
Warm Farro and Roasted Vegetable Grain Bowls:
- Farro, pearled and uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Squash, butternut - 1 lb , cubed ((look for pre-chopped in the produce or freezer section to save time))
- Cauliflower - 4 cups , florets ((look for pre-chopped in the produce or freezer section to save time))
- Carrots, medium - 2 , chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, goat - 3 oz , crumbled ((sub feta))
- Farro - (Skip if farro was already made on Monday.) If prepping right before cooking, get the vegetables roasting in the oven before returning to this step. Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Squash / Cauliflower / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Dill - Chop dill.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C degrees.
- Spread squash, cauliflower and carrots onto a sheet pan. Cover tightly with foil and steam in the oven for 10 minutes. (Watch this video on roasting vegetables at high temps for tips.)
- Once vegetables have steamed for 10 minutes, remove foil and pour cooking oil (the portion for the farro bowls) over the top. Season with some salt and pepper. Toss with a spatula to combine. Return to the oven and continue roasting until vegetables are tender and caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes. (Note: If using frozen vegetables, they may cook more quickly so check them frequently towards the end of the cook time.)
- When vegetables are nearly finished cooking, add beans and stir to combine. Continue roasting just until chickpeas are warmed through.
- Make vinaigrette by zesting and juicing lemons. Combine with dill, mustard, vinegar and honey. Whisk while slowly adding olive oil.
- Toss roasted vegetables with farro and dressing. Crumble cheese over top. Enjoy!