Spice Rubbed Roasted Pork
and roasted squash with cranberries and pecans
- Squash, butternut - 1 lb, cubed ((look for pre-chopped in the produce or freezer section to save time))
- Cauliflower - 4 cups, florets ((look for pre-chopped in the produce or freezer section to save time))
- Carrots, medium - 2, chopped
- Nuts, pecans - 1/3 cup, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Cranberries, dried - 1/4 cup
- Garlic powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Pork tenderloin - 1 1/2 lbs
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup ((sub white wine))
- Make spice rub - Combine garlic powder, cumin, paprika, thyme, salt (the portion for the pork) and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Squash / Cauliflower / Carrots / Pecans - Prep as directed. Combine squash, cauliflower and carrots. Store pecans separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pork tenderloin - Rub pork on all sides with spice rub and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Spread squash, cauliflower and carrots onto a sheet pan and cover tightly with foil. ‘Steam’ in oven for 15 minutes.
- While vegetables steam, combine oil, salt (the portions for the vegetables) and vinegar in a small bowl. Grate ginger into the bowl and stir to combine
- Once vegetables have steamed for 15 minutes, remove foil and pour oil and vinegar mixture over top. Stir to combine. Continue roasting for 20 to 25 minutes, shaking and rotating midway through until cauliflower is golden and squash is tender. (Note: If using frozen vegetables, they may cook more quickly so check them frequently towards the end of the cook time.)
- While the vegetables continue roasting, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add pecans and toast in the dry skillet, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes. Set pecans aside and return skillet to heat.
- To skillet, add oil (the portion for pork) and then pork to heated oil. Sear on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes each, until golden brown.
- Pour stock into skillet, cover loosely with foil, and bake in the oven for 14 to 16 minutes or until pork reaches 145F / 63C degrees. Let rest, covered for 10 minutes.
- When vegetables are done roasting, toss with pecans and cranberries.
- Slice pork and pour cooking liquid over top. Enjoy with vegetables on the side.
Saving. Goat cheese and roasted veg, always a win!0 Helpful
This is one of my favorite dishes. The rub is perfect and the cooking method results in a very tender and tasty pork tenderloin.0 Helpful
Went to two different stores and I couldn't find pork tenderloin that wasn't marinated in teriyaki! So I got pork loin instead... which is a much thicker cut and took waaaaay longer to cook (close to 45 mins). However if I had the proper cut of meat I'm sure it would have been a lot easier! I looooved the veg side.0 Helpful
Was so surprised as how delicious this side dish was! I would have never put these things together and it was so good. We will make more next time.0 Helpful
Why didn't the veg version include nuts and berries?0 Helpful
The roasted squash/cauliflower/pecan/goat cheese/cranberry = delicious. My three year old does not like cauliflower and she loved it. I cooked the pork in my pressure cooker and it was a little dry - that's my fault, but then again unless I slow cook pork, I have a hard time getting it right.0 Helpful