Korean Tofu Tacos
with lime slaw / cucumber-tomato relish
Asian flavors bring a fun dimension to these non-traditional "tacos." We think it's the best of both worlds: the sweet and savory flavors of Korean-inspired tofu, and the color and toppings of classic tacos!
- Cucumbers, small - 1, diced
- Tomatoes, roma - 2, diced
- Sesame seeds, white - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Tortillas, corn and taco-sized - 8
- Korean tofu (ingredients listed separately) - ~4 cups
- Lime slaw (ingredients listed separately) - ~3 cups
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz ((sub thinly sliced cabbage))
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Sugar, white - 1/4 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz, 1" / 2.5cm cubes
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Stock, any type - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Sugar, brown - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Chili-garlic sauce - 1/2 tsp, (sub any hot sauce)
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then slice into .5” / 1.3cm cubes. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Make sauce - Chop garlic and grate ginger. Combine with stock, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and chili-garlic sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make slaw - Combine coleslaw mix with salt (the portion for the slaw), white sugar, lime juice, and olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make cucumber-tomato relish - Dice cucumbers and tomatoes. Combine with sesame seeds, sesame oil and some salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tofu - Season tofu with salt and pepper and then toss it with cornstarch to coat.
- Heat a wok or nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then tofu to heated oil. Using tongs, arrange tofu into one layer so they cook more evenly. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until tofu is golden on the outside.
- Move tofu to the sides of the wok, leaving space in the center. Pour sauce into the center of the wok and simmer until it thickens and coats tofu, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Assemble tacos by filling each tortilla with tofu, slaw and cucumber-tomato relish. Top with some extra hot sauce sauce, if you'd like. Enjoy!
The slaw and cucumber mix was wonderful, but the steak marinade and sauce was overly complex for the simple flavor. I would prefer a more simple, more tasty, drier rub for the steak. Also, the instructions are a little confusing. I had to read several times and then rewrite some of it to use it. However, I will be making a version of this again! It's a great new spin on tacos! The slaw and cucumber mix are a perfect compliment!0 Helpful
Made recipe for 6 servings for 4 people. Meat quantity was fine, but made slaw and relish in large amount. Next time I'll make same or more meat and less slaw and relish.0 Helpful
My only complaint is withbthe instructions. How and when to add corn starch. Very confusing, so I skipped it. They tasted amazing, in any case!0 Helpful
I will admit the long ingredient list intimidated me. But once I actually made it, it came together quickly. And it was SO good. The flavors were amazing and the mix of hot beef and cool veggies was great. I added a little avocado, too. I will definitely make this again.0 Helpful
Easy and delicious. Will cube the beef next time instead of strips but still A+0 Helpful
This was amazing. Bright, flavorful. Loved it.0 Helpful