Korean Steak Stir-Fry
with cauliflower rice / sesame cucumbers
A sweet and savory sauce gives this beef stir-fry a Korean-inspired infusion of flavor. Serve the stir-fry over cauliflower rice. Chilled sesame cucumbers on the side add color and texture to round out the plate.
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head, florets chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cucumbers, small - 2, diced
- Sesame seeds, white - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Stock, any type - 2 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - 1 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, sliced
- Onions - 1/2, sliced
- Beef, boneless skirt steak - 1 lb, sliced ((sub flank steak))
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Make sauce - Chop garlic and grate ginger. Combine with stock, aminos, honey, vinegar (the portion for the beef) and hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make sesame cucumbers - Dice cucumbers. Combine with sesame oil, vinegar (the portion for the cucumbers) and sesame seeds. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day to let the flavors come together. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beef - Slice beef against the grain (i.e., perpendicular to the fibers to prevent toughness) and toss with salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok or nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Set cauliflower aside and cover to keep warm. Return wok to heat.
- Add oil and then onions and peppers to heated oil. Saute until tender, ~2 minutes.
- Add beef to onions and peppers. Saute until seared on the outside, 2 to 4 minutes. Pour sauce over beef and bring to a simmer. Simmer in sauce until beef is cooked through to your liking, 2 to 5 minutes more.
- Serve stir-fry over cauliflower rice, topped with some extra hot sauce if you'd like. Enjoy with chilled cucumbers on the side. Enjoy!
The slaw and cucumber mix was wonderful, but the steak marinade and sauce was overly complex for the simple flavor. I would prefer a more simple, more tasty, drier rub for the steak. Also, the instructions are a little confusing. I had to read several times and then rewrite some of it to use it. However, I will be making a version of this again! It's a great new spin on tacos! The slaw and cucumber mix are a perfect compliment!0 Helpful
Made recipe for 6 servings for 4 people. Meat quantity was fine, but made slaw and relish in large amount. Next time I'll make same or more meat and less slaw and relish.0 Helpful
My only complaint is withbthe instructions. How and when to add corn starch. Very confusing, so I skipped it. They tasted amazing, in any case!0 Helpful
I will admit the long ingredient list intimidated me. But once I actually made it, it came together quickly. And it was SO good. The flavors were amazing and the mix of hot beef and cool veggies was great. I added a little avocado, too. I will definitely make this again.0 Helpful
Easy and delicious. Will cube the beef next time instead of strips but still A+0 Helpful
This was amazing. Bright, flavorful. Loved it.0 Helpful