Korean Steak Stir-Fry
with cauliflower rice / sesame cucumbers
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head , florets chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cucumbers, small - 2 , diced
- Sesame seeds, white - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
Korean Steak Stir-Fry:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Ginger - 1 tsp , grated
- Stock, any type - 2 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - 1 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , sliced
- Onions - 1/2 , sliced
- Beef, boneless skirt steak - 1 lb , sliced ((sub flank steak))
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Make sauce - Chop garlic and grate ginger. Combine with stock, aminos, honey, vinegar (the portion for the beef) and hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make sesame cucumbers - Dice cucumbers. Combine with sesame oil, vinegar (the portion for the cucumbers) and sesame seeds. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day to let the flavors come together. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beef - Slice beef against the grain (i.e., perpendicular to the fibers to prevent toughness) and toss with salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok or nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Set cauliflower aside and cover to keep warm. Return wok to heat.
- Add oil and then onions and peppers to heated oil. Saute until tender, ~2 minutes.
- Add beef to onions and peppers. Saute until seared on the outside, 2 to 4 minutes. Pour sauce over beef and bring to a simmer. Simmer in sauce until beef is cooked through to your liking, 2 to 5 minutes more.
- Serve stir-fry over cauliflower rice, topped with some extra hot sauce if you'd like. Enjoy with chilled cucumbers on the side. Enjoy!