Sausage & Shrimp Gumbo with Cauliflower Rice
with peppers, okra, and tomatoes
Smarts: The roux (browning of thickener & butter) will deepen the flavor but if you're in a real hurry, you can skip it (we won't tell!). The okra will still give this lots of body.
- Cauliflower - 1/2 lb, chopped into florets
- Ghee or grassfed butter - 2 tsp
- Shrimp, peeled & deveined - 1/2 lb
- Onions - 1, diced
- Bell pepper, green - 1, diced
- Bell pepper, red - 1, diced
- Okra - 1/2 lb, stems removed and sliced
- Sausage, andouille (cooked) - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Grassfed butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Coconut flour - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Almond flour - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Stock, chicken - 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 cups
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Bay leaves - 1
- Hot sauce - for serving
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Cauliflower rice - Chop off florets. Pulse in a food processor until it reaches a rice-like consistency. Place cauliflower into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring midway through. Mix in ghee or butter and season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Onions / Bell peppers / Okra / Sausage - Prep as directed. Store onions and peppers together and okra and sausage together. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Diced tomatoes - Drain.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and butter. Once heated / melted, add coconut and almond flours and stir to mix. Cook until light brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in first part of chicken stock and then onions, bell peppers, paprika, and Cajun seasoning with a sprinkle of salt. Cook until aromatic and softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add sausage, tomatoes, okra, second part of chicken stock, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fold in shrimp and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, more of the spices or your favorite hot sauce. Enjoy over cauliflower rice with lime wedges.
Double the roux, uncles 2 ribs celery with fist veggies, at least 6 cups of stock, and add 2 tsp thyme. Otherwise, it's decent.0 Helpful
Kids really enjoyed!!0 Helpful
Subbed eggplant for okra0 Helpful
Substituted green beans for okra.0 Helpful
Substituted leftover rotisserie chicken for shrimp, so left out the lime. Used fire roasted tomatoes with green chilies, and Slap Yo Momma spices. I liked the brown rice, but nErik said do white next time, which would cut the rice cooking time in half. So so so good, we gobbled it up!0 Helpful
Household full of picky eaters and we loved it can't wait to make it again. We did sub cauliflower rice, cut the okra and the shrimp due to food allergies but subbed left over turkey from Thanksgiving.0 Helpful