Sausage & Shrimp Gumbo with Brown Rice
with peppers, okra, and tomatoes
Combining shrimp, andouille sausage, and a delicious medley of vegetables, this gumbo is going to hit the spot! It'll be fantastic for any potluck too!
Smarts: The roux (browning of flour & butter) will deepen the flavor but if you're in a real hurry, you can skip it (we won't tell!). The okra will still give this lots of body.
- Brown rice, uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Shrimp, peeled & deveined - 1/2 lb
- Onions - 1, diced
- Bell pepper, green - 1, diced
- Bell pepper, red - 1, diced
- Okra - 1/2 lb, stems removed and sliced
- Sausage, andouille (cooked) - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Flour - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, chicken - 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 cups
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Bay leaves - 1
- Hot sauce - for serving
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Rice - Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water, ~45 minutes for brown rice. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Onions / Bell peppers / Okra / Sausage - Prep as directed. Store onions and peppers together and okra and sausage together. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Diced tomatoes - Drain.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and butter. Once heated / melted, add flour and stir to mix. Cook until amber brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in first part of chicken stock and then onions, bell peppers, paprika, and Cajun seasoning with a sprinkle of salt. Cook until aromatic and softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add sausage, tomatoes, okra, second part of chicken stock, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fold in shrimp and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, more of the spices or your favorite hot sauce. Enjoy over rice with lime wedges.
Double the roux, uncles 2 ribs celery with fist veggies, at least 6 cups of stock, and add 2 tsp thyme. Otherwise, it's decent.0 Helpful
Kids really enjoyed!!0 Helpful
Subbed eggplant for okra0 Helpful
Substituted green beans for okra.0 Helpful
Substituted leftover rotisserie chicken for shrimp, so left out the lime. Used fire roasted tomatoes with green chilies, and Slap Yo Momma spices. I liked the brown rice, but nErik said do white next time, which would cut the rice cooking time in half. So so so good, we gobbled it up!0 Helpful
Household full of picky eaters and we loved it can't wait to make it again. We did sub cauliflower rice, cut the okra and the shrimp due to food allergies but subbed left over turkey from Thanksgiving.0 Helpful