Thai Tacos with Mango & Cucumber Salsa
and nuoc nam sauteed green beans
- Skirt steak - 1 1/2 lbs
- Homemade nuoc nam - 1/2 cup, (ingredients listed separately)
- Shallots - 1 bulb, minced
- Cucumbers - 1/2 lb, diced
- Mango - 2, diced
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Tortillas - 8
- Water - 1 1/2 cups
- Sugar - 1/2 cup ((you can also sub another type of sweetener, like honey))
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Fish sauce - 1/4 cup
- Lime juice - 2 to 3 Tbsp
- Hot sauce - to taste, (like Sriracha)
- Green beans / haricot verts - 1 lb, trimmed
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Nuoc nam - 1/4 cup ((ingredients listed separately))
- Hot sauce - to taste
- Make nuoc nam - Combine water and sweetener into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer until reduced by about half, ~15 minutes. Mix with remainder of sauce ingredients and season to taste with hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Tenderize with a fork and then combine with 1/2 cup (118 ml) of nuoc nam in a baking pan or a Ziploc bag. Marinate for up to 30 minutes and ideally overnight. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Shallots / Cucumbers / Mango / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Toss with 1/4 cup (59 ml) of nuoc nam and some salt. Cover and refrigerate if not using right away.
- Green beans - Trim off ends (give your kids a pair of scissors and get them trimming!).
- Try to take steak out of fridge ~30 minutes before cooking for most-even results. Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Brush with cooking oil and then add steak to heated pan. Sear for about 3 to 4 minutes each side. Set aside and let rest for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- After proteins are cooked, heat a saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then beans to heated oil. Saute for about 1 minute and then add nuoc nam. Saute until your desired crunchiness level (I like mine extra crunchy, so another 2 minutes is all I do). Remember the green beans will keep on cooking ('carryover cooking') after you take them off the heat too! Season to taste with salt, pepper, or hot sauce.
- Heat up tortillas according to package instructions.
- Slice steak into smaller pieces or longer slices. For longer slices, remember to slice against the grain.
- Let everyone assemble their own tacos with steak and cucumber and mango salsa. Enjoy with your tasty green beans!
Made the sauce with honey and used onion instead of shallots. Delicious!0 Helpful
This meal was good. I was able to do chicken for me and my daughter and then tofu for my husband. I wish there had been a starch included - so I probably would make rice next time to go in the tacos. I would also 1/2 the salsa recipe since there was a lot left over. Good though!0 Helpful
Wowzers. Flavor extravaganza. Couldn't find skirt, so went with another thin cut of steak. Only marinated 4 hours. Could have gone with 1/2 the meat. Super.0 Helpful
I absolutely loved the taste of this meal. It did take a really long time to make though0 Helpful
I made the nuoc nam a few days early. I was unsure whether it was going to be too fishy. It was so so good. You can't taste the fish sauce at all, it is just the perfect blend of sweet and flavor. I didn't have tortillas so I put everything over rice and it was awesome.0 Helpful
The best yet! Everything perfect!0 Helpful