Slow Cooker Black Eyed Pea Curry
with carrots and potatoes
We love doing a slow cooker meal on Halloween, so that your kiddos can fill up on something warm and comforting before hitting their trick-or-treating run! This simple curry is satisifying and full of flavor, perfect for the fall night.
Slow Cooker Black Eye Pea Curry:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 1 lb , peeled and chopped
- Potatoes, russet - 3/4 lb , peeled and chopped
- Black eyed peas, dried - 2/3 cup
- Curry powder - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Broth, vegetable - 4 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 2/3 cup
- Limes - 1/2 , sliced into wedges
- Onions / Carrots / Potatoes - Prep as directed. Can be stored in 1 container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Black eyed peas - Rinse.
- Start slow cooking - Combine black eyed peas, onions, carrots, potatoes, curry powder, soy sauce, tomato paste, vegetable broth and bay leaves in the bowl of your slow cooker. Slow cook on low for 6 to 8 hours until peas are tender but still have a little bite. If not slow cooking, use canned black eyed peas. Heat up a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add some oil (not listed in ingredients) and all ingredients except for black eyed peas, bring to a boil and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in black eyed peas in the last 10 minutes of cooking. (Can be done 5 days before)
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Rewarm curry if cooked ahead of time. Season to taste with salt, pepper or soy sauce.
- Rewarm rice if you cooked ahead of time. Serve curry over rice and enjoy with lime wedges for a bright finish!